Archinect
anchor

What is your favorite LEED building?

le bossman

Does anyone have one? Please, feel free to also post other green buildings/designs/ideas as well. Feel free to note their features and educate us as to why they are green, and/or how this affects the architecture.

May 13, 08 8:37 pm
holz.box

hmmm... i think this might be hard. i've got a few:

oma, seattle central library

bksk, Queens Botanical Garden

patkau, UBC Aquatic Ecosystems Laboratory (silver)

or better yet, minergie (CH)
holl, swiss embassy residence

zumthor, kh bregenz

-daylighted galleries
-mech. zones isolated from inhabited zones, reducing loads
-actively coupled concete walls/floors
-lake constance used to cool - groundwater cooling
-thanks to mass coupling, ventilation is only for hygenic air exchange
-heat recovery system
-system was flexible enough for integrating small mech. cooling capabilty post occupancy

part of the problem is that a lot of green buildings don't fall into the LEED points system very well.

it also doesn't push innovation as much as it could, unless you take the position that green roofs, fancy mechanical systems and low VOC materials are "innovative"

May 13, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

for the record, that's not holz - i've got no locks, unfortunately, and a rather poor placement for a fire extinguisher...

May 13, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

my employer!

May 14, 08 12:00 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

UT School of Nursing Houston

[img]
]http://www.aia.org/aiarchitect/thisweek06/0421/0421cotenursing_b.jpg[/img]

May 14, 08 12:44 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra
May 14, 08 12:45 am  · 
 · 

i would've thought zumthor's project at bregenz predated leed. also didn't know that the usgbc reviewed european work...

May 14, 08 7:28 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah the leed topic is a tough one which is why i figured we'd have to stray out into the broader 'green' movement

May 14, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 

sidwell friends school by kieran timberlake:

May 14, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

it does predate LEED, i was just trying to show there are (better) alternative systems out there, and what they've achieved.

May 14, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'm surprised some of these are energy efficient given the amount of glass they have

May 14, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

glazing isn't really a LEED issue...

there are lots of green projects that are fully glazed.

jahn's postbank tower in bonn, for instance..

i know quite a few firms that have done green projects that are fully glazed. if the mechanics are done right, and using thermal coupling, it can easily be achieved.

May 14, 08 11:40 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

lebossman,

i'm wondering if your notion of energy efficient means superinsulated, minimal windows to the north, etc...

May 14, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
mdler

LEED SCHMEED

May 14, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

no not really. i understand there are thermal performance issues where glazing can be at used to an advantage. i suppose because i live in extreme climates i tend to assume as a default that glass = bad. richard meier's courthouse in phx is an excellent example of what not to do.

May 14, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

le bossman

I think that most Meier projects are excellent examples of what not to do

May 14, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah but this is a specific example of what not to do with glass

May 14, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
gbrainard

holz, what's up with the swiss system (minergie)? as far as i can tell, it seems to be primarily about energy efficiency -- like LEED, but without the bells and whistles.

What makes it better? Or maybe the swiss buildings are just better?

May 14, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Minergie is tougher… for starters, it’s pass fail. You either achieve or you don’t, none of this interstitial crap.

It’s judged on energy efficiency and comfort. Energy consumption is heavily weighted, whereas w/ LEED, energy is a significantly smaller portion.

You don’t get freebie points for cool designs…

May 14, 08 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: