Archinect
anchor

CSI Master Format

evilplatypus

Question - does Construction Specification Institute own the copywrite to using the master format? Like could I as say a materials supplier publish my wares for sale by menue cards organized by master format? Or do i have to pay a royalty? What if I made accounting software for contractors and used masterformat to organize accounting codes - what then?

They say their mission statement is to promote the adoption of the master format - but does it cost money to re-publish? Curious.

May 12, 08 2:08 pm
Atom

Do it, that would be rad. Ask them directly.

May 12, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

CSI publishes Masterformat (2004 Edition is the current edition) and reserves copyright. It reads "All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the United States Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publicatin may be reproduced or distributed in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without prior written permission of the publisher, The Construction Specifications Institute."

This is an essential reference resource that should be included in any professional library. And, for product manufacturers trying to professionally market their products, I would think that working with a specifications professional (one that would undoubtedly own a copy of Masterformat) to determine the correct locations (numbers) within Masterformat for categorizing specific products or systems would be an excellent idea. No royalty would be involved, you just have to purchase Masterformat or work with someone that has.

Disclaimer: I am not a representative of CSI and am only providing my opinion. You should contact CSI to find out any specifics. They won't bite.

May 13, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: