Archinect
anchor

Current Boston Market

cayne1

The market here in Boston seems a bit fractured at the moment. Too much work in some sectors and none in others.
The institutional, lab work seems good - any other markets or firms booming that I should be looking at for employment?
Any thoughts on how long it'll be before things level out again?

Disclosure - I was just laid off and I'm seeking entry level drafting / project assistant type work.
Thanks in advance.

May 9, 08 1:13 pm
dml955i

The Boston Market closest to my house just closed down :(

May 9, 08 1:24 pm  · 
2  · 
le bossman

i don't understand how this could happen, with seasoned rotisserie chicken, green beans, and mash potatoes

May 9, 08 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
med.

cayne1, why don't you just get a job at one of the firms that specialize in the institutional/lab/ thing?

Try Payette in Boston. They always seem to have very good work going on.

May 9, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

before 1995 they were just known as boston chicken. then they went bankrupt and mcdonalds bought them out. i recommend getting a job there, i hear there's benefits after 2 months.

May 9, 08 1:59 pm  · 
1  · 
med.

Man you guys just ate this one up.

May 9, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

the creamed spinach and corn bread were nice. (is that really green beans in the pic?) was handy to be able to pick up both whenever i wanted.

May 9, 08 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 
le bossman

i don't know what the hell it is. maybe the creamed spinach you speak of. it was just a sampling from a traditional american dinner that i thought of. looks like sweet potatoes to the south, with a baked potato south of the chicken to the north, and in the extreme northwest you can see some mashed potatoes i think, although i don't understand why they'd be on the same plate as a baked potato.

hey guys remember this? apparently they are still around in a few very obscure locations. only one location in the US.

May 9, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

yep, couple of them opened in beijing the last few years, and some closed. never really caught on but they must have some money backing them as foster's brand new terminal 3 here has one as a featured restaurant in the main departure hall. strange.

May 9, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
AtelierTabulaRasa

who can ignore their cornbread!?

May 9, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

Wow, helpful as always. I should known not to ever ask for helpful advice here.
Nothing but scorn and avarice.
Well, I hope there are still some other delicious eateries remaining in your neighborhood that continue to meet your culinary and budgetary needs.

Seems you can get more traction around here by spouting racism and hatred.
Looks like the man was right after all: Not god bless America - god damn America!

May 9, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

mmmm ... Boston Market meat loaf ... now, that's some good eatin'

chill out cayne1 -- you're the one who phrased the title stupidly

May 9, 08 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

cayne, i am sympathetic to your situation, although i do not understand what is racist about the way the thread has taken off....
On that note, they were thinking of making the neighboring albertson's a gentrified Boston Market, and thankfully that did not go ahead.

May 9, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

and phukaya is right, you might get more money working there than in an architectural office.

May 9, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I would not venture to say the market is going to leveling out soon. It is a fricking wierd situation we have put ourselves in over the past few years. I would say Bean Town is going to be struggling along just like it did last big oil driven downturn occured back in the 1970's.
The cost of doing business in New England is extremely high in regard
to cost of energy and also labor. There is also a shrinking labor pool so it doesn't look like it is going to be growing by leaps and bounds.
The only strong suit New England has is Higher Education and the problem is it exports all of its students to other parts of the USA and to the World when their done with school. It is hard for people to stay
in this part of the world with the high cost of living and the high taxes.
I would say plant your seed somewhere else.

· 
mdler

i had some El Pollo Loco last night...not Boston Market, but they do have grilled chicken and mac + cheese

· 
FOG Lite

mmm... I miss the crazy chicken....

I'm not in Boston, Western side of the state, but we seem to have a bit of an uptick with the commercial clients who have been waiting to build. Contractors are starting to panic and dropping their prices so its a great time for institutional clients to build. We've had a couple jobs come back to life that died because of steel prices.

On the other hand I see a major crash in the educational sector looming as its become hard to get student loans. Drop in tuition = drop in building. This won't affect Harvard, but we've been doing a lot with the smaller local colleges that don't have billions in their endowment.

May 9, 08 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

Thanks to those who offered insight into the situation in Boston. Interesting view that the lack of available loans will have a ripple effect on college building. That would seem to indicate that the only sector with a pulse will implode in the not too distant future.
Perhaps a new President with differing views on Stem Cell research will revive the large Bio-Tech and Medical research communities around here.

As for the Rev, Wright quote - I had no intention of drawing any parallels with race. What I should have said was: "god bless archinect...I say god damn archinect!"....or I could have just shouted Spaaartaaa! and accepted the death of this thread in the face of overwhelming odds, and betrayal by some outcast hunchback.

May 10, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

if you're in Boston why haven't you shown up to a Boston-Archinect meet up?

May 13, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

no oh-fence meant cayne1, but surely you realize that by useing the term Boston Market in your thread title you were inviting some of this.

i for one was excited to see a thread (finally!) about gummy rotisserie chicken and bland sides spiked with "natural" flavors, only to be disappointed to see it's just another thread about employment advice in these dicey economic times. not that i don't feel your pain...

anyways, maybe you should have said "Current Boston JOB Market," but per usual, wtf do I know?

May 13, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
May 13, 08 6:36 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

This deserves as much love as Boston Market. Amazing food leads to fat grad students, in my experience. Happy, but fat.

Mar 8, 21 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

mightylittle - About that title - You are correct sir. I didn't even realize what I had done until it went South right away.
It was damn funny, actually. I wasn't expecting much of a response anyway, so a good laugh is far better than nothing at all.

Pixelwhore - I haven't been to any meet-ups because I've been toiling away at the BAC - too much work, too much school, not enough time.
Give me a heads up for the next one - I'll try and make the time.

May 13, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
outed

cayne,

i suspect boston is going to be fairly typical of most metropolitan areas right now - commercial work is down sharply from even a year ago as the credit markets have tightened up significantly, especially for certain sectors (all kinds of residential and commercial ventures). the aia's billing index will tell you that (it's dropped to it's lowest level ever for a single quarter). the banks are too nervous to loan money right now - that's going to cripple everyone until the fed can reassure them it's ok to loosen up a least a little bit.

compounding the problem will be a sharp decline in tax revenues for most states in their next fiscal year (no money flowing, no taxes coming in). expect to see lots of budget deficits all over. reason that matters is that 'discretionary' capital spending will be the first item getting ax (meaning all those buildings will wait one more year). hopefully the commercial and residential sectors will begin to increase later this year to help offset that slowdown next year.

it's not looking too good overall - you all are probably too young to remember the recession of the early 90's, but nearly half of the registered architects in boston were unemployed at one point (in 91 i think). it was crazy. so many people got out and went into other careers (younger architects) that in 96-98, there was a severe shortage of really qualified project architect/manager types with the requisite 5-7 year experience. it could get that ugly again if it plays out badly over the next 6 months...

May 14, 08 7:49 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

there are a few of us Boston Archinecteur's around here...

May 16, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

What makes thing worse in New England is the high cost of living and the declining population. Property Taxes are being raised to off set the loss of jobs in order for the communities to meet their budget needs because the State and the Feds are putting less food on the table.

May 16, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Thanks necroposter--now I want Boston Market chicken! 

Mar 8, 21 8:28 am  · 
 · 
t a z

I remember it used to be called Boston Chicken, but they got sued over the name and changed it to Boston Market.

Mar 8, 21 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Same here, I almost mentioned that. I swear it was still Boston Chicken until the late 90s but they claim they switched in 95.

Mar 8, 21 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Now we need a "Former Boston Chicken" thread.

Mar 8, 21 8:02 pm  · 
1  · 
thisisnotmyname

The closest one to me is 2 hours away,  :(

Mar 8, 21 11:34 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I lived on Boston Market when I was in grad school.  They opened up at least a dozen locations around here in about a year, it seemed like.  I was sad to see them go (but lost weight as a result).

Mar 8, 21 8:02 pm  · 
1  · 
quasi-arch

I always thought the food was too salty. Not sure where one is to try again though 

Mar 9, 21 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It's definitely too salty. But that's true of almost any fast food.

Mar 10, 21 8:47 am  · 
3  · 
quasi-arch

True, but it was the first fast food where I thought it was so prominent--never ate there again after that.

Mar 11, 21 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: