# Boston II at the AIA TAP Conference - May 14, 2008
# Los Angeles Part II - May 19-22, 2008 at AEC ST in Anaheim
# Vancouver, BC, Canada - July 21, 2008
# New Orleans - April 1, 2008
# Los Angeles - Jan. 31, 2008
# Rotterdam - Nov. 21, 2007
# Boston - Nov. 15, 2007

LA google map

Is this the future of urban design or just an extension of the OAN concept into the for-profit world?

May 8, 08 5:05 pm
holz.box

i think for profit is the anti OAN...

in a related story, we've been using sketchup as BIM a lot lately. this isn't a good thing.

May 8, 08 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

dude. we had a guy lecture on this shit at school and it's terrifying. the intent is good but the consequences are disastrous.

it totally gives in to the idea of architecture as a pure client-based service and over-compartmentalizes notions of design into pre-conceived cookie cutter stamps that are shoved into whatever form you find appropriate. designing hundreds of buildings in a matter of hours? he kept stressing you can get cost-estimates in a matter of seconds. that scares me. design takes a complete backseat to streamlined project management/coordination.

i asked the guy if he was afraid he was killing the profession and he deflected the question. and he was FAIA. so much for the AIA protecting the profession...

Once skynet/BIMstorm becomes self-aware, we're toast.

May 9, 08 5:47 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

That's what it looks like to me.

If the MEPFS trades virtually design their systems and the curtain wall guy designs his system and the pre cast guy designs his system, what does that make the architect? A schematic designer and code interpreter? CD's and design, bid, build could disappear and what do you charge fees for then?

Holz, when you say you are using Sketch Up for BIM. Do you mean you are using some of the plug-ins? Or does sketch up have BIM tools. My understanding was that it was a conceptual "sketching tool" and others have developed plugins that allow you to extract information or assign information to the models.

May 9, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ah, no. unfortunately, it looks like the office is using the components tool to define different steel WFs, floor plates, etc. i guess it's really just modelling taken to the extreme (way to accurate for sketchup)

May 9, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: