Archinect
anchor

Infrastructure mining

treekiller

Theft of manhole covers in Long Beach CA is part of a growing wave of opportunistic resource recovery and recycling for cash that is mostly focused on copper wiring and pipes and costing taxpayers and owners $$$$ for replacement and repairs.

As designers of buildings and infrastructure, what can we do to prevent the mining of our projects for scrap? Do we start detailing locks on manhole covers? increase the voltage of the wiring? grout cables into their conduits? or just write into the specs that the project names gets imprinted on all high value materials?

May 6, 08 1:27 pm
Apurimac

a lock on manhole covers probably isn't a bad idea.

May 6, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

maybe you put a police officer at every copper recycling center so that when Jose shows up with a van full of copper wire to sell...

May 6, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

mdler, your ethnic stereotypes are offensive.

May 6, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

okay..when Bob shows up...

May 6, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

mdler, why do you hate white people?

May 6, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

okay...when Obama shows up...

May 6, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

So now your against mulatos?

May 6, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

what if a yellow elephant thong showed up with a stack of manholes?

you've had your fun, now back to the topic folks...

May 6, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Weve had 3 robberies at job sites this year. 1 RTU stolen from a truck. And the plumbing ripped out 2x at the site. Down the street from me someone stole the copper cornices and bay window cladding from a 100 year old house. Their was scaffolding for a bricklayer and the theives just brazenly removed the pressed metal in the middle of the day and people thought they were workers.

May 6, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

This is recycling before the need for it comes it into play. I wonder how this relates to a cradle-to-cradle outlook on disassembly and graceful end of life cycle?

Don't want your buildings taken apart? Invest in drug treatment and job training programs. Many people who scour job sites and infrastructure for recyclable takeaways are maintenance level addicts looking to supply a necessary daily fix. Some savvy demo contractor looking to supply LEED credits should hire them.

See, as always, HBO's The Wire, for more info.

May 6, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

hugs not drugs

May 6, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

Do you need a hug, Free?

May 6, 08 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That link above? With the secure cover for the base of a light pole? That's the kind of design idea that will net someone a bazillion dollars. I wish I could come up with something that unglamourous and simple.

One of my current high-profile jobs has historic copper gutters and twisty (really cool!) downspouts. Thjey will all need to be replaced, and will be, in kind per historic district requirements, but in the meantime...I've told the owners and contractor several times to take that copper off themselves or someone else will do it for us and get the cash benefit. The house is unoccupied, and every morning I arrive expecting all copper to have vanished.

To stop theft, salvage yards really should be required to photograph each piece and take ID of the seller. There was a rash of stolen decorative wrought iron - gates, fence panels, etc. - in Philly several years ago. Sadly a lot of thieves take the stuff over state lines etc. so it's not as easy to find your missing gate as just walking down the block to the local architectural salvage. It's a huge business.

As posted on your bench thread, tk, I actually love the glass shards embedded at the top of walls. One window box in Philly had, along with the desirable flowers (yes, people steal flowers in Philly), a sign that said "Put your hands in here at your own risk - planter contains poison ivy". I always thought that was funny.

May 6, 08 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

765 let's hug it out, bitch

May 6, 08 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

May 6, 08 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

Thats the LBC for you. Maybe you could just put a crack dispenser in the light pole? At the least of it you could see this as a good sign of the value of recycling. Its the first time I've heard of this happening outside of the third world. Another lock though? And keyed to what? Another item to coordinate on the hardware schedule, but wait thats not even on the hardware schedule, oh hassle. It would have to be master keyed - to what! Years later they just want to change the bulb and they end up cutting off the lock because there is a special key required.

Whenever I go through that train of thought I go to mcmaster and find some weird fastener like a star shape which can be found, but isn't a key. Most vandals and thieves will get a bolt cutter before special ordering an obscure screw bit.

May 7, 08 1:29 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's not just the LBC...

seattle's had a string of copper thefts. you think it'd be easy to catch (the guy scratching his spotted face that hasn't showered in a few weeks and wants to unload 40lbs of copper wire)

the recycling plants have to be looking the other way.

May 7, 08 2:14 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I try to keep my manhole covered

May 7, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

These kind of thefts are just thinning the herd of idiots. Seems every week you hear about another guy that fries himself stealing some live electrial wire...or a house that blows up when some idiot trys the steal an active gas line.

Many states are now requiring an ID before getting paid. Not sure if that's enough. Jobsite security obviously needs to get tougher. Have also seen signs that say all plastic pipes - no copper here.

May 7, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

holz.box

what do you have against dirty people?

May 7, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
n_

My city's skyline is dotted with a metal recycling center just blocks from our downtown on the opposite side of the river. Due to its proximity to a large transient population, copper theft has been rise. Recently, our council members took note and are trying to pass a law that now requires metal recycling centers to thumbprint, photograph, and have the seller provide a picture identification card.

May 7, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: