Archinect
anchor

Working in New Zealand

halstaff

Hi colleagues!

Did any of you work in NZ?

I go there soon and will seek a job.

I have been working and living in sevaral parts of Europe and I like nature, skiing etc. I believe the NZ quality of life in those respects - maybe even high enough to weigh up their terribly low wages a bit ;-)

I hope to hear good personal accounts from those of you who have experience of working in NZ. What are the work life like? Is the expectations different from the rest of the World - and in which ways? Are they more formal ?

I am looking into 1. Christchurch 2. Wellington and 3. Auckland (maybe Hamilton or Bay of Plenty)

Best,

Fnimion

May 6, 08 1:07 pm
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

NZ is a very informal and relaxed culture, and this carries over into working environments.

The best skiing and outdoors stuff is in the South Island, but the best cities are in the North Island. Auckland is like a small Sydney. Wellington has a better urban fabric, but the weather can be bleak. Christchurch is kind of flat and boring, but it's closer to the Southern Alps and Queenstown for skiing. In the North Island, there is only one place to ski - but it's not bad. Regardless of where you stay, NZ is small, and nice to travel around. Hamilton and the BOP are pretty rural. If you're from a big city somewhere, living costs here in NZ will be a lot lower than you're used to.

May 6, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

Personally i find the skiing at Whakapapa (North Island), which is the largest ski field in the country to be the best skiing, however it is on a volcano, so sometimes it has less snow than the South Island.

It isn't too hard to find employment, and being a foreigner can only help boost your chances. The cost of living is relatively low, so international wage comparisons can only be so useful.

Check out the NZIA for more info.

May 7, 08 3:18 am  · 
 · 
halstaff

Thanks!

I have been told to send applications close to my arrival or after I get there, as they cannot spend time on applicants before they know it is 'for real'. This seems fair.

But I am somewhat confused to see that so many NZ positions are posted through recruitment agencies. Here in Europe we would simply apply by sending a portfolio/cv directly to the architectural office(s) of our choice. Is this the normal way?

And which NZ offices would you advice me to consider?

People in other professions struggle with IELTS tests to make succesfull NZ candidates, but this is not mandatory for architects, is it?

Cheers,

F

May 7, 08 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

There is no mandatory IELTS to visit NZ for work. Auckland and Wellington are very cosmopolitan, and employers are quite used to working with people from overseas.

You don't need a recruiting agency. Just send a letter and cv straight to the practices you are interested in.

May 7, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
halstaff

Cheers Agfa8x!

May 7, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
kiwi

I have a Bachelor of Architecture degree from University of Auckland, and worked in Auckland for a couple of years before moving out the country. Auckland and Wellington are probably your best bet if you are coming from a city of descent size. Christchurch is pretty small and is super cold for up to 6months of the year. you should probably do a little research on your own and see if there are any firms of your liking. Most architectural firms in NZ are pretty small (5-10people?). You can email your resume and portfolio to them and follow up by a phone call in a week or two. (Receptionists will try to be most helpful) Architectural practices in NZ certainly lack the energy and speed that NY or London provides, but if you are an easy going, outdoorsy type of guy/gal who want to live in a friendly environment then I think you will fit in just fine.

May 9, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
halstaff

Hi Kiwi,

Thanks for your kind reply. I am happy to hear that this is indeed the right method.

/f

May 10, 08 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: