Archinect
anchor

Helping Each Other Out.

sunsetsam

Well, I was reading about Barragan a couple days ago, and I came across his letter and sketch of how the courtyard should be designed for the Salk Institute. Of course this letter was in reply to Louis Kahn's need for help. And I was quite astonished because the courtyard is probably one of the most celebrated design element of that institute, I am not neglecting Kahn's beautiful organization of the labs and offices and his blend of materials. But many people give Kahn the entire credit.

This thread isn't specifically about the salk institute, but the concept of one architect giving another architect an idea for a design. Firstly, does this still happen, do we know of any well-known architect that has been helped on the "side" by another architect in terms of design. Secondly, would YOU feel comfortable aiding another architect in terms of design even though you were not officially his/her partner?

May 4, 08 6:31 pm
holz.box

kahn gave props to barragan in several lectures and writings

i've no issue giving advice or being a soudning board for other architect's projects. sometimes, i have a habit of saying how something should be and pissing people off, though.

May 4, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

a less cordial example might be corb's participation in the design for the un, which he only SORT OF got credit for. he may have not wanted too much credit anyway given that the design was sort of committeed to death by the time it was all over. his involvement is still pretty apparent, though...

May 4, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

maybe not so great is david childs rippping off student thomas shine

May 4, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 

Whatever happened with that? Was that why they changed the tower design?

May 4, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Any designer would be happy to tell someone else how to do it. The big man is one who will ask for help. No ?

[The fetish for no caps results in unreadable usage like un.]

May 4, 08 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Personally, I liked the sketches for the orange grove better. (LOL)

I would say that our projects are all colaborations. you should never work in isolation. you loose scale, purpose, and perspective.

May 4, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I hope that student got paid off well. Would have been better if it killed the WTC design.

May 5, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 
citizen

DSC is right.

Even if we didn't speak to anyone while on a particular project, its design will draw from precedents and strategies we've learned from others --whether in history lectures, in books, or earlier conversations. We don't reinvent the wheel, or design in isolation.

May 5, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Word

May 5, 08 11:34 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i design in isolation...and i plan to have a re-invented wheel soon!

May 5, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ZipGUN

"Any designer would be happy to tell someone else how to do it. The big man is one who will ask for help. No ?"

Well put, and to be perfectly honest, I'm personally not great on that second part...!

May 5, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

I think young architects should gather as much information and learn as much as they can from older architects and building precedents ... and then use what you know and do invent new ways of doing things.

May 5, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

sharing is caring and copyrights on ideas are human rights violations so go what is to stop you?

May 5, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Antisthenes, aren't you in the process of patenting a pre-cast building panel of some sort?

May 5, 08 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And I'm not asking that to be an ass, I'm seriously asking. Do I have you confused with someone else?

May 5, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

barragan:

[Barragan said,] "I would not put a tree or blade of grass in this space. This should be a plaza of stone, not a garden." I [Kahn] looked at Dr. Salk and he at me and we both felt this was deeply right. Feeling our approval, he added joyously, "If you make this a plaza, you will gain a facade--a facade to the sky."
-via frampton's Studies in Tectonic Culture

May 6, 08 2:55 am  · 
 · 
garpike

puddles, make it round. Ah ha ha ha! Now you must re-invent the re-invented wheel. (because I helped. get it?)

May 6, 08 2:59 am  · 
 · 
garpike

[Barragan replies] "yes, Kahn, exactly. A facade to the sky." He imagines giving himself a high five.

May 6, 08 3:01 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm more and more convinced barragan was either a stoner or very heavily into psychedelics...

May 6, 08 3:06 am  · 
 · 
garpike

peyote

May 6, 08 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

liberty bell that system already exists i have built with it, it is not panels per se it is a monolithic EPS GFRC building system called Strata. http://www.strataus.com

on February 13, 2008, the ICC-ES announced the approval and publication of the Saebi Alternative Building System (SABS™); thereby bringing to completion Strata's long sought after goal of presenting its innovative building technology to the world. The vision of ICC-ES combined with Strata's hard work have brought forth a true, modern alternative building system with an equally important 21st century analysis method capable of predicting the structural performance of its buildings using any design under any set of climate and stress load conditions. These stress load factors included up to a Zone 4 earthquake, 170 mile per hour wind (as occurs in coastal regions), 15 minute or longer fire resistance to internal and external fires without the risk from structural collapse, and other durability indicators. Passing the rigorous ICC-ES testing and the completion of several SABS™ structures allows Strata to make the claims that:
• SABS™ structures are Earthquake resistant
• SABS™ structures are hurricane resistant
• SABS™ structures have the highest strength and safety
• SABS™ structures are architecturally beautiful
• SABS™ structures will have a very long lifetime
• SABS™ buildings are the most advanced green buildings on earth

I hope this information 'helps you out' :D
May 6, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

In school I had several friends who I swapped ideas with all the time, and this is generally lauded as being part of the much discussed "studio culture".

Perhaps since the earlier part of schematic design is so short in the workplace, this level of collaboration isn't seen as much. As opposed to asking how to detail x y or z.

May 7, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: