Archinect
anchor

Interior Design or Architecture Degree in Michigan

Lb2

I know I want to design interiors but I am not sure that I am pursuing the proper degree to do so. I am an interior design student at a CIDA approved university. The problem is I live in a state that does not license interior designers. Although there is a bill that passed the house and went to the senate it appears to be surrounded by controversy. If I graduate with an interior design degree am I going to be able to find a job as an interior designer? Will I be allowed to participate in the space planning or will I be stuck just picking out finishing materials for someone else's designs? In order to design interiors, including the function of the space, should I pursue a degree in architecture or interior design? Thank you.

May 3, 08 6:41 pm
khmay

yes! architecture degree! wait, no, that's more competition for us...

i would think your ability to get a job will depend on your ability to design rather than your actual licensability.

May 3, 08 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
Lb2

To tell you the truth I am not sure whether or not interior designers should be licensed or not. I overheard an architect tell someone interior designers can't design spaces because they are not licensed professionals in the state of Michigan. You have to hire an architect. (Of course I understand interior designers can't move load bearing walls and create designs involving the structure.) But, overhearing this conversation is causing me to ask, what are interior designers allowed to do? and why am I going to school for a design degree if I'm not allowed to design anything? It would set me back two semesters to switch to architecture (only 3 classes). The interiors are what I love but my interest is in the function even more so than the aesthetics. Who cares how pretty it is if it doesn't function? Thank you for your input.

May 3, 08 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The licensing of interior designers is a battle across many states right now. I wouldn't worry about it - whatever way Michigan (or other states - you might move in the future) end up going there will still be plenty of work for people who specialize in interior design.

With an interior design degree you can work in an architecture firm focusing on interior spaces and finishes. You'll have at least a few years of grunt work - but that will be true in EVERY profession. A few year's exposure to what happens in the architecture profession will help you decide if you want to change paths and get a master's in architecture.

Don't sweat it. You have plenty of time to specialize or change course if you want to.

May 4, 08 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Lb2

Thank you for the advice Liberty Bell. That sounds like a wise plan.

May 4, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

You can also become a licensed architect and not have an architecture degree, it just takes a long time working at a firm. Look at Will Bruder, went to school for sculpture, came out an architect!

Jun 4, 08 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: