Archinect
anchor

letter of rec question for recommenders

domestic

Do you write a different letter directed to each school or do you write one letter and make copies?

I ask because I don't want to burden those recommending me with having to write several different letters, because in which case I'll narrow down from 5 to 2 or 3 schools.

Thanks

May 3, 08 12:30 pm
dutchmodernist

I just write one letter and change the addresses unless the student specifically asks me to do otherwise. Writing letters of rec is an annoyance, and students never give enough time or say thank you anymore. So: ask at least 2 weeks in advance and write a thank you note afterward!

May 3, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I think it depends on how much they like you. From my experience, professors I was very close to took the time to understand why I was interested in whatever school I was applying to and wrote a specific letter to each, professors I didn't have a personal relationship with, but still respected my work wrote a generic letter to each institution.

I'd recommend about a month in advance as these people often have to right far more recommendations than you'd guess. But that said, I don't think five schools is overboard, I think most folks go 4-6 so your recommenders will be used to that.

May 3, 08 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Citrus is spot on. The more specific the letter, the more it speaks to their respect for you, because they took the time to do so. I expect the body of the letters is the same most of the time, with just a few specific references customized for each school.

And don't just write a thank-you note, update your recommenders regarding where you were accepted and where you decide to attend afterwards.

May 3, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I wrote two letters of rec in the past couple of weeks; neither gave me a thank you note, in fact only one gave a verbal "oh, thanks!" and the other didn't even manage to email me back to let me know that he got it alright (let alone to thank me). I had to chase him down to make sure it got to the correct place. Somewhat frustrating...

May 4, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

It's better if you make the recommendation letter out to that specific school, because it shows the school you are concentrating on them, You don't want the letter to sound too generic and cookie cutter-ish. On the other hand, a lot of professors are busy so they may forget to enter the specific school.

I gave my "Thank You" card and a little gift at the end of the semester, because I was still taking my professors course while she wrote the Rec. Letter, I would feel awkward giving her a thank you note at the middle of the semester, thats just me though.

May 4, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
outed

look through the 'search' on this - it seems like 3 or 4 of these topics get created each year.

very briefly - yes, the letters should be made out to each school, but more importantly they should provide a very candid assessment of your skills. too many people mistakenly believe that unless you get a glowing recommendation, you're chance of getting in are damaged. quite the contrary, imho. i've read far too many letters (from very famous people) who are trying to blow smoke ("this is the greatest student i've ever had/known/etc.") but don't say anything. i'd rather know you a good, solid, middle of the pack kid who's going to contribute to the life of the school in some way than hear that you're the greatest student ever but clearly don't back it up in the portfolio. (good and solid is, well, good, by the way).

someone who is truly, truly exceptional (and i've only seen maybe 2 out of 500-600 portfolios) doesn't need recommendation letters to tell me that. for everyone else, i'd really like to hear about who you are, what you've done, what your potential is, and how you think this (my) school will serve your career goals. i want to know what you want to get and what you can contribute (the latter being more important). that's what i really need in the letter. get it all in and it doesn't if it has a little whiff of being copied for multiple places with the names changed each time.

thank you notes are a lost art - i'm lucky to get thank you emails. and, absolutely, you better let the recommender know where you get in and what you plan on doing. letting them feel used (and that's your responsibility) won't get you too many favors in the future....

May 4, 08 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
outed

christ - looking through that - forgive all the spelling and grammatical errors. it's getting late...

May 4, 08 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

I would suggest giving the person writing the recommendation letter your cv, and/or sitting down with them for 30 minutes ahead of time. Explain why you are applying to each school, and what your future goals are. This will make it a lot easier for the recommender to write a targeted letter.

I so agree...Always send a thank you note, and also let recommender know that you got the job or got into the school you applied for. I am surprised that so many people lack the common sense to do this. Remember you will most likely need another letter/reference from this person in the future.

May 5, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
domestic

thanks for your responses

I was going to ask Profs come July/August so as to avoid interfering with school. I figured I'd have to do catch up with them, show them my portfolio. I plan on having my statement of purposes done when I go to see them so as to show I was serious about attending choosen schools and so they have some content to use in writing specified letters.

+ yes, a thank you note no doubt.

May 5, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

domestic: if you can locate your professors in July/August I don't think that's a bad plan - it's always great to get things started long in advance, and if you do find time to meet with some of them in the summer things may be more relaxed and less time-constrained than when there are many other students asking for recs in late fall.
But don't expect them to actually write your letters during the summer - and make sure to tell them that you understand that they may not have time for this in the summer and that you don't expect them to do it immediately. Many profs use the summer to pursue other projects, or do course development, or teach elsewhere, or to work in firms full time, or to travel - or whatever - so it's not good to assume that they have tons of time, or interest, to spend on school-related tasks in the summer just because you do.
If you give them this much of a head start it may also be a little tougher to gently "remind" them about your letters later on without nagging. I've had some experience with students giving me the rec forms very early (by which I mean September or October, when applications are due in December or January), telling me that they need the letter by December, but then pestering me every couple weeks for 3 months. Unfortunately it seems that sometimes the type of student that is on the ball enough to get started on applications so early is also the type of student who can't stand waiting for things that are out of their control. So if you're going to make contact in the summer then make it clear to them what your actual deadline is, and that you're going to give them one nice reminder a few weeks before then.
Also, any prof who meets with you in July or August to review your portfolio deserves a nice thank you card for that AND a card once they actually write the letter.

May 5, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
domestic

Yeah Bloopox, i was thinking that, they work on research projects, practice.. during the summer, I'll just give them a shout then.

thanks

May 5, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

is it appropriate to send a thank you gift? I had some letter writers make extraordinary deadlines for me and I think they could use some microbrews... I don't want to overstep any boundaries though.

May 6, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
outed

i had one former student drop me a very nice bottle of bordeaux as a thank you. not that i'm suggesting such gifts be the norm, but it was definitely appreciated....

May 6, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: