Archinect
anchor

LEED fees

treekiller

Just cause the AIA can't create charts with architectural fees anymore, doesn't mean that archinecteurs can't collude ;-)

So what % of fee or $ amount does your office typically charge to certify a project in LEED? (please include project type and which version of LEED, cost of energy modeling, commission, intended level of certificaition, and any other info you want to share)...

I heard several years ago at the AIA expo that typical architecture fees for LEED were $75k and engineers got $150k. But I've never seen this verified or negotiated any fees for LEED into a contract yet.

Apr 29, 08 5:24 pm
RealLifeLEED

I think those figures are a bit high... We've done studies in-house looking at our and consultant contracts and then looking at the time it takes to get it all done.

I think for general LEED coordination (architect in charge of organizing, submitting, etc.) and typical documentation for an architect you're looking somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-300 hours worth of work. I can't speak for the amount of time it will take for other parties, but 150K for an engineer is WAY too much.

Joel McKellar, LEED AP
http://reallifeleed.blogspot.com

May 2, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
ZipGUN

RealLife -- so percentage-wise... what percentage must one add to a typical fee to cover architectural in-house extra work plus all of the necessary consultants time?

May 2, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I don't think it could be done as a percentage. The 200-300 hours is probably a standard set of time for any project.

Similar to bidding. Big or small, admin takes the same amount of time regardless.

btw. we work t & m with a range. note we don't work w/ a to not exceed.

May 2, 08 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

I agree with DSC... Whether you need to track down 500 or 500,000 feet of local wood framing, you're doing pretty much the same amount of work. Ditto for open space calculations, alternative transportation credits, water use calcs, etc.

This is great news for large projects, but we've had many a small project owner balk at our LEED certification fees. In that case, I just do the same sustainable design and forget about the certification... We're not going to reduce our fee in any case.

We have used a multiplier for higher level certifications before. Platinum is not the same as certified when it comes to coordination and paperwork (more points = more time). I've noticed our consultants doing the same.

I'll probably post on this subject by the end of the week on my site...

Joel
http://www.reallifeleed.com

May 6, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: