Archinect
anchor

Do know of Any New and Innovative Curtain Wall Designs?

CerebralArms

I couldn't really find any substantial information on this but I heard that Diller Scofidio + Renfro in collaboration with FX Fowle Architects are working on LINCOLN CENTER 65TH STREET DEVELOPMENT PROJECT. Apparently, they are using a very interesting curtain wall that does not use the spiders that usually hold up the glass these days. Does anyone know anything about this or have any information to share?
I would also like to know if you don't have information about that, if you know of projects that have used curtain wall in specifically great wall or designed new way of going about it?

Apr 28, 08 7:29 pm
mdler
Apr 28, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
CerebralArms

not quite an answer to the question...maybe it would have been funnier if you had curtains that had spider man prints

Apr 28, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

the one on the left

Apr 29, 08 4:49 am  · 
 · 
randomized

and maybe check out "front inc" as well, they did CCTV and Kuma's LVMH among others

Apr 29, 08 4:59 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

Thomas Herzog

Apr 29, 08 10:00 am  · 
 · 
anonnyc10003

There are a couple examples of nice new curtain walls here, by KPMB and Pelli. I believe that the limestone system on the Gwathmey building may have a new curtainwall-like hanging system.

http://www.designnewhaven.com/2008/04/new-materials-in-new-haven-architecture.html

Apr 29, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

search before posting. this was just done like a few months ago.......
i don't know if it will specifically answer your question regarding the DSR/FXFowle project...but might be a good place to start.

Apr 29, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
blah

The Koolhaas thing is storefront glass, not curtain wall. It is unusual though.

Apr 29, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

Looks like a curtain to me...

Apr 30, 08 3:15 am  · 
 · 
CerebralArms

so what is the difference between storefront glass and curtain wall precisely?

May 1, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

Storefront - Stacked:

[
===
[
===
[
===
[

Curtain Wall - Hanging:

[
[==
[
[==
[
[==
[

May 2, 08 5:07 am  · 
 · 
Frit

Put another way, storefront is generally limited to about 12'-0" vertical segments. Curtainwall spans greater vertical distances and just needs to attach to structural points. There are also more options with mullion profiles when you deal with curtainwall.

May 2, 08 8:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: