Archinect
anchor

resume suggestions?

misteranderson41

putting together my resume again and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on 'dos' and 'donts'

Apr 28, 08 7:09 pm
mdler

use at least 10 different typefaces

Apr 28, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
misteranderson41

i was going to do it all in text messaging short hand...good idea?

Apr 28, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

bst ida i hrd all dy

Apr 28, 08 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LOL, ML

Apr 28, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

=)

Apr 28, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
dutchmodernist

Make sure to have a colorful logo to push your personal brand! Make it BIG!

Apr 28, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

don't use wingdings

Apr 29, 08 1:44 am  · 
 · 
nb072

don't use any serif fonts. also, don't use arial. also, make yourself sound important without sounding pretentious and without lying.

Apr 29, 08 8:26 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

misteranderson41: this topic has been discussed many, many times before on this forum -- the search function will take you to all the threads -- here are a few samples:

Name Dropping on Resumes

non-serif on resume?

C.V.?

question about job applications...

resume / CV quick question

There are many, many more.

Good luck.

Apr 29, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
threshold

I have been deep in resumes recently so while it is still fresh on my mind:

Do check the spelling and grammar on your resume and cover letter and make sure at least one other intelligent person proof reads it for you. With a stack of resumes and looking to cut down to a handful of interview-potential people spelling and grammar mistakes indicated to me a lack of attention to detail and resulted in the candidates going to the “no” pile.

Do make sure your resume and cover letter and clear, and concise. Consider highlighting bullet points that will differentiate you from everyone else to catch the reader’s attention. Consider tailoring the resume to each position you are applying to. People who had construction experience and/or had exhibited their own art work got my attention (small, residential, very design focused firm).

Do consider your resume as a design project. It should have hierarchy, scale and proportion. Use white space skillfully. Don’t send a big block of almost undifferentiated text just to fit it all on a single page.

Do consider the paper you print on and the envelope it goes in. It should feel like part of the design.

Finally, when you do get the interview be sure to have practiced your portfolio presentation. It is not a thesis jury and don’t treat it like one. Keep each project description short and to the point. Don’t spend a lot of time on each project unless your interviewer is asking you for more information.

Ask questions. Take notes. Follow up.

Apr 29, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: