Archinect
anchor

Jetpack Infrastructure

Has anyone ever read an article or seen a speculative project about what kind of physical infrastructure would be required for a population using jetpacks?

Jun 3, 13 6:18 pm
Petrol tanks and pumped up kicks. What else would you need?

And, if you can make the jet pack run on air pollution, it'll be just the shoes!
Jun 3, 13 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, just how high is your fever?

Jun 3, 13 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

There is a jetpack scene in a Bond movie. Don't know about infrastructure though.

Jun 4, 13 12:35 am  · 
 · 

Jet Pack Testing

Jun 4, 13 12:53 am  · 
 · 

No seriously.  Would people just be allowed to launch from their front door and beeline to the office/the store/whatever? Or would that lead to so many collisions that we'd have to have routes?

Maybe all south-going and east-going would be at a given altitude, with north- and west-going flying higher? Or would we make people follow traffic rules, just 50' up above the roads - meaning they would fly in the same pattern as roads?  So would we extend vertical signage/traffic controls above the existing road infrastructure? So then in an area with a street grid the jetpackers would move like first-year cadets at SOM's Air Force Academy, where they have to stay on the linear pavers not the field. Maybe there's an aerial ski-lift gondola-type infrastructure above the roads, similar to Rio's, where jetpackers fly up, dock onto a moving cable, ride along until they are close to their destination, then fly down. But how do you control the "last mile" as public transit fans discuss?

Or will jetpacks have collision-avoidance software that will make an infrastructure-imposed controls, both physical and regulatory, unnecessary?

Jun 4, 13 8:18 am  · 
 · 

it depends how they're developed and marketed. 

if they're developed so that they run on solar, algae, or other sustainable fuel technology, they will also come with an infrastructure of safety regulations. this may or may not include some physical infrastructure - and i'd bet yet. 

if, however, they're basically gas-powered leaf blowers on steroids, they'll be championed by libertarians who will reject any kind of regulation at all and it will be chaos in the air. 

also, i just watched 'idiocracy' last night, so i'm betting on the latter. 

considering the implications of jet boots, are we?

Jun 4, 13 8:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

air traffic control is already governed by the FFA/ air traffic control.  i would expect if a lot of people got jet packs, regulation would be an extension of the existing regulations on air traffic.  there are plans to modernize air traffic control, because as i understand it larger commercial planes are somewhat limited in where they can go by the location of air traffic towers.

i don't think it's all that easy to steer a jetpack.  also, i bet there would be maintenance problems.  a spark plug would go bad or something because people don't want to bother figuring out how that sort of thing works, so they'll just fall out of the sky.

Jun 4, 13 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Yes, thinking about rocket boots. But jetpack traffic rules are (perhaps weirdly) something I've wondered about since college ever since a friend and I saw a car at night zooming over us on the freeway. It was dark enough we couldn't make out the overpass the car was on, so it looked like it was flying, and we both did a double take.

Idiocracy is one of the best. movies. ever. made. But so depressing!

Jun 4, 13 9:14 am  · 
 · 

Sounds like at least 104º to me, maybe higher.

I'd like to see the human cannonball used for personal transportation. People would be shot to their destination. Much more efficient than a jet pack or a 170 lb. person using a 3,500 lb. vehicle to get around.

The infrastructure would be huge nets strung all over the place and every building would have a giant muffin-top roof like those oversize air bags that stuntmen fall into. Both could have advertising plastered all over them.

Jun 4, 13 9:20 am  · 
 · 

Now see, Miles, that's what I mean! A total transformation of our cities to accommodate the movement of a human body! But getting the groceries home without breaking the eggs or smooshing the bread could be a problem.

Jun 4, 13 9:32 am  · 
 · 

tuck and roll, then you won't break the eggs--I once used this when falling down an icy set of stairs, saved a bottle of vodka in the process…

Jun 4, 13 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Nice save, Russell!

Coincidentally, on The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe Podcast they are currently discussing infrastructure and rules for flying cars.  Their main take is that it will be like Google's self-driving car, but in the air.

Jun 4, 13 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Super Dense Mercury Milk! http://youtu.be/T7JLXg7yGx0

Jun 4, 13 10:43 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

futurama had a public transportation network similar to bank tubes.  that seemed efficient, and the animated characters didn't seem distressed about the process at all.

of course, star treks's transportation system including hyper-space travel and teleportation would be hard to beat.

Jun 4, 13 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Robot Chicken had a bit where Scotty transported from the couch to the fridge for a beer and then back. There's no doubt people would if they could. 

Jun 4, 13 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna....I think you have a Kick Starter Project in the making.....

Jun 4, 13 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Angus and I discussed this and he pointed out that each direction of travel would have to be at a different altitude. Also there would be floating/hovering markers showing significant features; one might need to check in at those markers by doing a flyby - like a combination cell ping and weigh stations on the interstate- to manage heavy traffic.
Jun 4, 13 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Helicopters commonly follow highways and stay left to avoid oncoming aerial traffic. Jetpacks would do the same at lower altitude.

Simply increasing the height of existing highway signs would create jetpack traffic lanes above existing thoroughfares. There would be aerial on ramps to get up to speed, HOV lanes for multi-person jet packs, aerial stop lights at intersections, etc. Refueling stations would be built above existing gas stations.

All roads would of course have to be strung with netting to catch jetpackers who ran out of fuel or had a mechanical failure, but this would make handy advertising space and could also be used to shade and cool roadways. If there were white they would reflect solar energy back into space to help combat additional global warming caused by jetpack exhaust.

Jun 4, 13 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
You've seen that solar collecting canopy that could be over roads, right? What if it were also a magnet, opposite of the jetpack magnet? The levitation would then be fuel-less and you'd just need minor propulsion! Personal Maglev.
Jun 4, 13 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

Personal Maglev, love it!!

I also love the idea of a net/shading device over all roadways.  I love houses like Rudolph's Umbrella House and Judith Chafee's Ramada House.  It's such a sensible way to build!

Great ideas, you guys!

Jun 4, 13 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

What if one day we can 3D print jetpacks. 

Jun 5, 13 5:21 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I say screw the netting...if you run out of gas, it is your problem.....you will only do it once in a life time.

Jun 5, 13 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: