Archinect
anchor

apprentice: to stay or stray?

|l

simple. in apprenticeship is it better to stay in one firm fro experience or transfering from one firm to anotehr after a considerable amount of time or ex[erience has been learned? thanks

Apr 25, 08 11:40 am
kyleseyz

I think there are plenty of great arguments for both sides.

My two cents:
_Be careful straying, depending on your experience (or lack thereof) you might find yourself out of a job anywhere if the market goes south

_That being said, experiencing different sized firms is really valuable and changing it up always makes things interesting, and pads your resume with lots of references

_But, if you're getting varied opportunities where you are and you enjoy it, stick around until you don't.

Apr 25, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

I think it wholly depends on what you are looking for out of your apprenticeship. If its to pay back loans I'd suggest something far more lucrative. Rather take the time and explore the learning lessons that being an apprentice can give. I worked for about 6 different companies before completing my graduate degree 7 years after entering school. And was blessed with working with architects, interior designers, metal fabricators, landscape architects, planners, etc.

Apr 25, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
|l

thanks for the rep. and it isnt about the money, i guess ill just see wether ill get lots from the current firm. Maybe ill stray after a couple of months when ill find another place if things dont get interesting. thanks again fopr the reps

Apr 25, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

you should be able to provide a good explination for leaving a firm/job after working there less then a year. It could look bad on your resume and people may wonder about your lack of comitment

Apr 25, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

um, i think apprenticeship disappeared a long time ago...

Apr 25, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Blow out your candle and quietly leave the office.

Apr 25, 08 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

If you leave your first gig out of school in less than a year because you have learned all they had to offer, you weren't trying.

If you even aluded to it during your interview i'd throw you out.

Apr 27, 08 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: