Archinect
anchor

scale geometry before rendering in Maxwell?

MArch n' unemployed

so logically it would make sense that if you scaled your geometry before rendering in Maxwell it would render faster. now i realize that scaling screws up the materials and if you go too far the camera can't focus on it. but im wondering if it might be worth the effort if i can spit renderings out faster. does anyone do this? or do you think its not worth the hassle? i've got a 500' foot tall building and time is not my friend.

Apr 24, 08 8:34 pm
Apurimac

Ah, see i got so tired trying to get renderings of small models to work I started building everything in real scale because of the focusing issue. I didn't know a smaller model would render faster.

Apr 24, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

well i don't really know that it would either, it just seems to make sense...certainly takes less time for the engine to calculate a shadow on a 50' facade rather than a 500' facade...but maybe logic doesn't come into play. that's kind of why im curious...because there is definitely work involved in scaling. its probably not worth the effort

Apr 24, 08 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

in order for Maxwell to work properly the model needs to be at the correct scale. Lighting, materials, cameras are all based on real-world analogs, you can render a "scale" model, but will have to tweak the lighting, materials, camera settings appropriately. It also will be difficult to get it to look like the real-scale, scaled models tend to look like scaled models.

Apr 25, 08 8:32 am  · 
 · 
rehiggins

besides throwing more/faster cores at the model you can get rendering speed by:

-keeping RGB values below 220 (numbers above 220 do not translate to real-world colors)

-model only what is absolutely necessary, i.e. if it's an exterior shot, don't model the interior walls (unless they're seen by the camera)

-use AGS for glass whenever possible and model the pane of glass (AGS works best when used on a "box" instead of a single plane)

-keep dispersion off

-watch for geometry intersections (especially with dialectrics)

-keep your emitters as simple as possible (use the smallest, least number of polys plane)

Apr 25, 08 8:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: