Archinect
anchor

Sanskar Kendra

John Cline
Sanskar Kendra

in Ahmedabad, India has a raised first floor and a hole in the middle providing sunlight into the bottom. While a great building, most of the photographs I've seen do not sell these ideas well. I'm interested in it as a precedent study but would like to find other exampls of raised, "donut", courtyard buildings?

Apr 22, 08 2:06 pm
sameolddoctor

this is a good precedent, but its so badly maintained that it surely does not sell well.
I worked on a permanent exhibit on the first floor some 8-10 years ago, I might still be able to find some drawings.

Apr 22, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Thanks sod. I have a copy of Corb's 1910-1960 monograph. It has some decent plans and elevations plus some exterior images. But because the ground floor is not really occupied, I'm wondering if there are other more successful examples of similar building types. (I just didn't want you digging around for old drawings that might not be helpful in the end!)

A co-worker visited the building a few months back and had positive things to say but did report without the ramp "activating" that courtyard space, it would be a pretty banal place.

Apr 22, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

hmm, the ground floor does not have a set program, but is used quite actively over weekends for communal activities, art events (i attended a few art competitions as a kid there), and folk art exhibitions. Yes the ramp is essential to the layout, but it does function as a good public space.

Apr 22, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

The Hirshhorn Museum in Washington DC appears to be a direct riff off Le Corbusier's museum paradigm. Reenactionary architecturism, if you will.

Apr 22, 08 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

Also from Gordon Bunshaft, the lower section of Lever House (1950-51).

Apr 22, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Thanks Bourgeois!

Apr 22, 08 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

hey, i've been to the sanskar kendra! that being said it's not a terribly exciting building. probably the least interesting building corb designed in india. though it did house india's kite museum in its lower floor which was very memorable, if not for its architecture.

not really sure what you're getting at with your interest in this typology. lina bo bardi's sao paulo art museum uses stilts to create public space in a compelling manner, but is not a donut.

Apr 22, 08 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Thanks jafidler! We are working on a couple of building schemes which raises part of the first floor creating large common spaces below. One in particular has a large aperature in the roof allowing light into this space. So basically as a precedent study, I'm looking for buildings that programatically fit the bill. If I can find some compelling images of sucessful buildings, they may become convincing presentation tools.

Apr 22, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah, lever house was the first thing that came to my mind too

Apr 22, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

hey, one more, john. i've always been fascinated by richard meier's westbeth. one of his first projects, i was lured into the space on a walk through chelsea one day. had no idea where i was or who designed the space and was later surprised to find out it was meier.

Apr 22, 08 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Thanks again jafidler. I love how you used the word lured. That's quite a complement.

Apr 23, 08 9:27 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

you might be interested in my college dorm

actually asu has a lot of these 'donut buildings' as they are appropriate to the desert climate.

Apr 23, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 

that hammock has my name on it

Apr 23, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Swiss Pavilion by LeCorbusier

Apr 28, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: