Archinect
anchor

Help Me See The Larger Picture

BuiLi

Hi all,

I've been working as a newbie intern architect for the past 1 1/2 yrs and I'm frustrated with not being able to see the whole picture of the architecture profession.
I am often given a task to do such as to put together certain sheets for the CD set, or work out a spreadsheet....but most of the time I don't know where the tasks that I am doing fit into the larger picture of the project. The project architects that I work with are very nice in trying to explain to me what the purpose of each task is, but often they are too busy with trying to move the project along.

Can anybody recommend any books or publications that I read to get a better grasp of the profession (Besides Architect's Professional Pratice) that would explain the sequencing of what to do at each phase of the project? A book about the case study of a specific project that focuses more on the business and administration side rather than the design would be great.
Any suggestions?

Apr 21, 08 12:37 pm
marmkid

maybe you need to go work somewhere where it is important to them to help you gain experience

or sit down with your boss and ask how you can learn more

Apr 21, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

After 1.5 years in an office your boss should be giving you broader experience. That said, even with pretty broad-based experience in an office, there were still some things I didn't learn about office and project administration until I started studying for the ARE's. Tho could always pick up the study guide for the CD ARE exam and read it over. You could also read over the AIA contracts (with commentary), particularly Owner/Architect and Owner/Contractor.

Apr 21, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

It takes time, picking a smaller office is definitely better than a large one, try and get into different project types and sit in on meetings to take notes, it gives you an opportunity to see more of the business side.

Try writing a proposal, You might have to take more initiative, with your bosses support. Offer to jump in on more projects if others need help. Sometimes it takes you to do it than wait for it to happen. Even offer to work on a small project but take it all the way through the design and build. One of the best tasks we always give new staff is a small project like the park washroom structure we have on the boards currently so that one staff member can do the whole thing themselves ( with supervision ). it gives them a sense of the process, the meetings, the drawing set up and ultimately they can take possession of their project.

Try it out.

Apr 21, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
AP

your best bet may be to get involved on a project that is in schematic design or design development. if you get put on such a project and manage to stay on it as it proceeds through CDs and Construction (CA if your firm does it) you stand a good chance of gleaning a lot of the missing bits that you're after. after gaining one year of experience i was fortunate to be put on a new project at the corporate firm that i worked with. by working 80% of my time on that project from the Schematic Design phase through Construction Documentation I was able to gain a reasonably firm grasp on the "larger picture of the project," although by no means was i directly involved in every aspect of the project.

just another thought to add to the mix. this is coming from someone with only 3yrs of experience, whereas some others above (whistler, for example) have significantly more.

Apr 21, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
BuiLi

-- if you'd like to do some reading on this subject, I'd suggest you go to Amazon.com and conduct a book search for "architectural practice" -- that brings up a number of books by reputable authors -- one, or more, may provide you with the information you seek.

The best of these would appear to be:

Professional Practice 101: Business Strategies and Case Studies in Architecture - Pressman

The Professional Practice of Architectural Working Drawings - Wakita & Linde

Project Management for Design Professionals - Ramroth

Architect's Professional Practice Manual - Franklin

Good luck.

Apr 21, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

IDP

Apr 21, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch
Contemporary Property Development

from RIBA Publishing. It might not give so much detail on the Architect's role, but it shows where your outputs interface with the project and project team.

Apr 21, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: