Archinect
anchor

Information on Taliesin

neverspeaketh

Okay, So I promise I have searched and read through past topics on this subject but I feel they are lacking on real information about the actual program. I am not looking for information on the desert shelters or the location of the school. I want to know the facts...How many people apply? Is the School's pedagogy based only on Wright theory? Is the school competitive with other architecture programs? What are the program's major drawbacks? Benefits? Has anyone attended?

I am interested in information based on the fact that I am applying for an M. Arch. I read that they accept 28 students per year and I understand that they revamped the curriculum about two years ago when they got their accreditation back. I personally think the program seems interesting from the perspective of working and going to school simultaneously. It seems as though graduating from the program would provide students with a working knowledge of construction and ground-up design process of actual building. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Apr 21, 08 12:35 am
I035PEP

First question I have for you is have you contacted Taliesin to let them know you are interested. I was there from 2000 - 2003 and was in contact with the administration for a few years prior to that. I can't say exactly how many apply each year and I don't really know if anyone does besides admissions. The program is (or was when I was there) very different from other programs as it is more like 24/7. Other schools you go home at night, do your thing, at Taliesin you are there all the time and with other students all the time. Drawbacks might be that you have to work for what you want and no one is going to hold your hand to get you through. If you aren't motivated you won't get as much as someone who is. The program has changed a lot in the past couple of years.

They never lost their accrediation, but were told to improve or else they would lose it and they have improved. There are a lot of new people involved with the school and it appears that they are continuing to bring in more visiting staff. The capacity of the school is about 28 and that includes undergraduate apprentices as well, something I wouldn't recommend from personal experience.

I would really encourage you to contact the school, express your interest and visit for a long weekend to experience things first hand and see how it feels. I believe that is one of the only ways you would know if it would be a good fit. It's not like any other program and applying, being accepted and showing up might work, but it could also be a challenge not knowing what it is like.

Apr 21, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
neverspeaketh

Thanks for the reply I035PEP. I have contacted the school and they sent me a Bulletin which summarizes most of the school aims and such. I plan on visiting the school this summer and being in Arizona for a bit of time. Something about the school seems intriguing and it seems like a genuine experience. Do you practice architecture now? If so, how do you feel your degree or education stacks up with others in your field?

I didn't realize the maximum capacity was 28. When I read that line on the website I mistook it as how many people are accepted annually. From my point of view, I am not looking for a large or small school necessarily. I am looking for a program where I will walk away with a great experience. I plan on applying to numerous other schools and I am positive I will get in somewhere good but a unique program could possibly override the acceptance to a formal education at a more academic university.

Apr 21, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: