Archinect
anchor

Any cool DC "Design" firms

+2

I have been living in Washington DC for not quite a year now, and I have not yet come across any research/design/theory firms. I guess as this shouldn't be to my surprise, because its DC, but it seems that most of the firms are corporate/client based, and don't push the envelope as much as far as design (which is ok within its own right).

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Apr 16, 08 10:54 am
raj

i agree...
here was the list i received when i asked about good design firms in town:
link
but hey at least there are some amazing lecture that come through the city...from CUA, UMd, Building museum, AIAbalt series...

i would add KUBE and Core (though probably in the corporate list).
as you would suspect there are a number of small firms lead by faculty of one of the colleges in town... (i.e. scomoco or reform

also there is the pecha kucha night that seems pretty active:
pecha-kucha DC

and finally, a local arch review blog:
design-cult

but all that to say...it is quite dismal, but the whole art community in this city is lacking! i guess that is what you get when your whole city is about gov't and policy!

Apr 17, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

It's true, there aren't many 'design' firms around DC. Not compared to other metropolitan cities. I have been searching for a firm to work for for a few months now, and am getting really frustrated. I have applied to a number of firms which I consider interesting in the DC area, yet nobody is hiring. I am interested in Digital Fabrication, which is still unheard of in the area. Does anyone know of any architecture or industrial design firms who practice CAD/CAM, rapid prototyping, or digital fabrication in DC? Any firms interested?

May 13, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
m-e-l-o

Here is my pitch if any firms are hiring...

I graduated from The Catholic University of America with a BS Arch and an M Arch with a concentration in Digital Fabrication. My Graduate Thesis explored fabrication techniques for an Expandable Panel System. The System lowers the various construction wastes (time, money, and materials), yet yields high with structural loads. Aside from being awarded Best Thesis at Catholic, the System has been published in Architect Magazine, placed in the Lifecycle Building Challenge, and is patent pending. While working with my previous employer, I helped lead our second place entry for the 2007 ACADIA Design Competition.

May 13, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Brilliant!

May 13, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: