Archinect
anchor

Model Making - Corten steel.....

jimiperry

Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas or tried to model corten steel at around a 1:50 scale in an architectural model??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apr 15, 08 4:58 pm
mdler

look at RUSTOLIUM dark bronze spraypaint. I would spray it on chipboard or museum board

Apr 15, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i second that.

you could try first a layer of a dark grey or even black primer, and then go over it with the rustoleum red color. gives a look kind of like morphosis old models.

Apr 15, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl
Apr 15, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
jimiperry

thanks 'dread'. i like the illustration too it has a nice feel about. i think i'll go to the art or hardware store and buy a few different cans and experiment with them. i'll presume the above work is by morphosis is it?

Apr 15, 08 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
tc79

Primer coat of black, Krylon brown, then a light dusting of matte black.
Worked for me during many years of intern modelmaking.

Apr 15, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, the image above is by morphosos. i forget which project, though.

Apr 15, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

d'oh!

morphosis

Apr 15, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
jimiperry

if it is morphosis... what project is it?

Apr 15, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

it is and i forget. i miss it too.

Apr 15, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

who models materials? basswood, chipboard and foam, b*tches

Apr 15, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

sandpaper....

Apr 16, 08 12:21 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha holz, i like that.

Apr 16, 08 12:33 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

If there's a nice hardware store in your area, look for a certain kind of paint that people use to antique old hardware. Its a two-part paint, the first part is dark grey and is filled with iron flakes, you paint it on and then apply the second part (an oxidizer) which rusts the first coat. If you figure out how to apply it properly it'll look like a chunk of rusty steel.

Apr 16, 08 12:47 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Or you can take holz's advice and ignore materials.

Apr 16, 08 12:47 am  · 
 · 
jimiperry

thanks for the advice everyone. i don't usually model materials as things look naff when you do that. i just want to pick out the corten... so i'm making an exception!

Apr 16, 08 2:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: