Archinect
anchor

New architecture to see in Boston

Jefferson

I was in Boston a year ago, so I've seen the Alston library and the ICA. What other new works of architecture would you recommend I see?
Thanks

Apr 15, 08 12:38 pm
suwatch

macallen building?

Apr 15, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
randscraper

I second the Macallen building. Also maybe the Moneo building at Harvard?

This is a city where it takes 3 years (and counting) to renovate a bus shelter at Kenmore, so don't expect much just a year later

Apr 15, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that fugly ds+r project,
allston branch library
southboston maritime park
m. thompson's outdoor classroom@ arnold arboretum
genzyme
gsd reno, office da
concepts in cambridge

Apr 15, 08 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I've got to say I wasn't all that impressed with the Macallen building. I think the structural solution is pretty interesting, as are aspects of how some of the units interact--well, not interact, but how they're arranged. Other than that, though, I think the interior is very typical in many ways and lacks the obvious material sensibilities of smaller Office dA projects. They 200' windowless double-loaded corridor, and then things like haphazardly letting a huge truss that requires considerable maneuverability to navigate sit between a kitchen and living space an interesting feature really bug me. I think there are some very interesting things about this project, and I especially love the brick facade and the decks carved into the terraced roof, but I feel there is a lot of undeserved hype about this building. I love most of Office dA's stuff, but this one falls short in my book.

May 11, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
e_bordenave

concepts redesign is pretty cool compared to how it was before...I remember going there with my skater friends, although I never skated (tried by failed).

May 12, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
randscraper

on a general boston design life note, the new glass box apple store on boylston opens on thursday.... an article in the globe noted its the largest one thus far, and has the second longest open hours of any in the world (we'll see how long that lasts). They thought about going 24/7 like the nyc store.... then maybe they tried to take the T or get a bite to eat after 1 am and thought better

May 12, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

yeah that new apple store looks really nice...especially for boston.

is that where the copycop used to be located? i can see from google maps that the supercuts (where i used to get my hair trimmed as a young & very broke intern) is still just a couple of doors to the left. now i'm feeling old

May 18, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: