Archinect
anchor

IDP and wage

Archilearner

I am graduating from school next month with a BA in architecture (not professional degree). But I am planning to work for one year before heading back to graduate school.....

Can I start doing this DPI during that one year (by setting up a council record)?

How much salary should I ask (as a BA holder with two internship experiences and CAD efficient)?

your input is much appreciated.

Apr 15, 08 5:43 am
n_

Yes, you can start IDP.

Your salary depends on a number of variables such as your location, firm type, experience, etc. Have you checked the salary poll on this website? It's pretty comprehensive and may be able to give you a salary range for your desired location and experience.

Apr 15, 08 7:48 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Yes, get IDP started now so you get these hours accounted for. Can't believe how many people never establish a council record and try to go back 5+ years and remember what they did. As if that were hard enough, that's gonna raise eyebrows at NCARB too. The sooner the better in my book.

Your salary should be comparable with an entry level professional grad. Just don't expect the same amount of responsibility as the professional grad. After all, you're leaving for grad school in a year anyway. Range does vary by region but in any major city you should be looking at $17/hr and up.

Apr 15, 08 8:28 am  · 
 · 
tenn

a-learner:

you may want to verify the above statements. unless things have changed in the last few years (and indeed it is likely), you may only be allowed to count a small portion of the units with a BA degree. when i started idp (in 1999), i could only receive credit for hours worked within a 1-year period prior to obtaining my professional degree. so, all those summers i worked during undergrad were worthless as far as idp was concerned. i have long since completed idp, so i am not as aware of the requirements as i once was. can anyone verify the new regulations?

Apr 15, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
rootseven

Duration Requirement:
To earn training units in Training Settings A, B, C, D, and E, you must work at least 35 hours per week for a minimum period of eight consecutive weeks, or at least 20 hours per week for a minimum period of six consecutive months.

found here...also, i would verify requirements if your school is not NAAB accredited.

hope that helps.

Apr 15, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You may start counting IDP experience earned after the completion of the third year of a 4-year non-professional undergrad architecture major (does not need to be NAAB-accredited, but needs to be a true major - typically a program whose completion would get you advanced standing into the second year of at least some M.Arch programs), or after the completion of the third year of an accredited B.Arch program. If you did not do either as an undergrad then you must start counting after the completion of your first year of an accredited M.Arch program.

Apr 16, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: