Archinect
anchor

2009 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

la_la

the decision part is so hard for me:

[B.ENVD, GPA: 3.4, decent but not awesome GRE, working as an intern since 2006.]

final stats:

in:
CCA [with $, 2years]
USC [with $, 2 years]
UIC [no $, no advanced standing]

out:
UCLA
UC Berkeley
UWash

I'm deciding between CCA and USC... just moved to LA in August, they are very different programs I know, but I like things about each of them... :/

Apr 1, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

lessermatters-
i am still waiting to hear from cal poly pomona as well.

Apr 1, 09 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

nice hobo!

they're killing me. i got my feet wet with an acceptance to sci-arc and now i'm going crazy waiting to hear from the only other school i applied to; the one i can actualy afford.

do you have any info on when they are supposed to send notice?

i talked to them a few weeks ago and i think i remember them saying they'd send out acceptances e-mails first of april and the rejection snail mails would be out around the middle of april and then wait listed people would be notified at the end of april. ugh!

where else did you apply?

Apr 1, 09 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

la_la-

CCA looks much better to me in regards to design.

Apr 1, 09 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

but i could be wrong about that

Apr 1, 09 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

thanks lessermatters... it's a weird call. I resonate with the facilites @ CCA and I like the stuff that they are doing, USC is trying to become cooler I think...

sci-arc is very expensive, i was accepted last year [M.Arch I] ended up not going because of $/time [3.5 years!?! no funding?!] I'd go there in half a heartbeat if it was within my price range.

Apr 1, 09 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
kaywris

anyone heading to penn open house on monday?

Apr 1, 09 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Aaron Plewke

kaywris - I'll be there, but first to WashU this weekend...

Apr 1, 09 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
julzie49

anyway out there deciding between GSD and GSAPP?

Apr 1, 09 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

Fraggle - will you let me know how the UIC open house goes?

Apr 2, 09 12:35 am  · 
 · 
newport2009

guys, i can't wait till we start our journey. sept. feels like 4 yrs away :( wanna start this NOW!!!

Apr 2, 09 12:56 am  · 
 · 
CAD Mangler

Accepted to Georgia Tech (MArch 3+) today by phone. (Wow, I had given up on that one!) Of course it's only 9 days till their open house; not sure if I'll make that...
I had pretty well settled on U of Oregon, but now I have some thinking to do.

Apr 2, 09 2:38 am  · 
 · 
st1tch

Got a rejection from Waterloo today. They won't accept my bachelor of Environmental Design as a prerequisite for their M.Arch program as it's not a Bachelor of Architectural Science. -_-

Apr 2, 09 11:42 am  · 
 · 
missmeer

newport, you should have applied to umich! i start in june. it's starting to feel too soon, lol!

Apr 2, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

Newport, I am with you!

It seems to have been such a LONG road to get where we are today.

Let's enjoy the summer and get ready for monastic life for the next few years doing what we love!!!

Apr 2, 09 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

missmeer, june? wow, is that when your pre-req. starts or the actual program? haha, yeah, i would love to start that soon, lucky you!

entasis79, you're right, once we start, we'll probably wish we had more leisure time.

btw, i started making all these adjustments to my life to begin accommodating my new "lifestyle". i sublet my apt. and am moving out tomorrow to a less $ place but bigger! i think luck is def. on our sides this year :) time to start packing!

Apr 2, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
DreamDesign

Hi All,

Does anyone has thoughts on Cornell Waitlist. By when do accepted students have to inform the admissions office, so they can figure out spots and start accepting people of the wait list. Anyone has been through this process earlier.

Regards

Apr 2, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

same question as above for yale

Apr 2, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
missmeer

newport - start of the program - it's m.arch 1 - they tack on the .5 of the 3.5 semester program on at the beginning.

Apr 2, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

oh wow missmeer, that's super smart of them. i just found out if i go abroad to do a summer study at university of siena or copenhagen (study exchang), i can do it in 3 yrs.-they count as 12 credits. so i'm thinking of doing that and doing a dual in master of infrastructure planning which will only take a semester, finishing them all in 3.5 yrs., before getting an advance degree later in life at a name school i will take back w/me back to my motherland. this will take about 1- 1.5 yrs. depending on program/school. i hope to do this at cooper union (m.arch 2, i can possibly teach in my motherland) which is free. this way, i'll have the least expensive quality education i think. so everything will take 5 yrs. which isn't bad compared to let's say a doctor.

guys, i still can't believe m.arch is so darn long, 97 credits, i mean i knew but knowing that i'm really doing this now just really hits harder. we are just waaaay underpaid for this type of training! thank gosh we have passion to carry us through and on :)

Apr 2, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

lessermatters-
i emailed rocky @ cal poly pomona and got this email in response:

"The first round of admit offers have gone out and unfortunately, your name is not on the list. The admit offers will continue to go out as we receive declines to our offer. At this time, I do not know if your application is on the wait list or not and probably won't know till late next week."

i have to admit, this email is kind of a blow to my (blossoming) architectural ego. i applied to cal poly pomona solely as a "backup" in case i didn't get into the more competitive programs. i can't believe i was accepted to michigan (w/$$), ucla, oregon, and not to cal poly pomona!?!?

Apr 2, 09 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

meh, it's cal poly's loss-
choosing between UCLA and cal poly pomona is like having to make the choice between some super christian louboutin pumps and a pair of skechers!!!

Apr 2, 09 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

hobopajamas -

i just called berkeley and they confirmed that we'll hear in the next 24 hours via e-mail.

Apr 2, 09 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
GreenPen

inigo - a friend of mine was on the yale waitlist last year - she found out in early May that she was accepted.

Apr 2, 09 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

inigo: thanks for calling. 24 more hours? that's not SO bad...

and fellow commiserators, you have my permission to ignore my (very bitter) comment about ucla vs cal poly pomona :(

Apr 2, 09 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

thanx for the update hobo-

i guess i'm on the no go list too. bummer. i was really hoping to get a pair of those "sketchers" i just e-mailed rocky as well. we'll see what she says. I am so kicking myself for not having my portfolio ready in time for ucla!! At least I have the SCi-arc admittance, but not sure i can afford it.

Apr 2, 09 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
adjustable

I have the same Yale waitlist question - when do the accepted people need to sign on the dotted line?

Apr 2, 09 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

[bold]does anybody know if it's possible to be accepted by the architecture department and rejected by the graduate division? [/bold] or has anybody heard of this happening in the past?

my spot at UCLA is not yet certain and it's KILLING me. i was admitted by the arch dept three weeks ago but have not yet heard from the graduate division!

i called the UCLA architecture department and they said they had to "file extra paperwork" with the dean (!!) because my GPA doesn't meet the UCLA minimum requirements.

PLUS i haven't heard from SCI-arc yet.

i emailed shelby, who responded to tell me that my decision letter was MAILED via post earlier this week. this scares me because it sounds like most of you sci-arc admitted students heard via email!

no sci-arc email for this pair of hobopajamas = rejection??

Apr 2, 09 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
maxpower

anyone heading to the wash u open house? i wish i could have gone, but i don't get back to the US until monday. is there a facebook group or anything for those likely going to wash u?

Apr 2, 09 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

hobo, as long as your arch. dept. recommends your acceptance to the graduate division, you are ACCEPTED, regardless of extra paperwork...they just can't officially state it but trust me, you are accepted. the extra paperwork thing sounds like a protocol they have to follow and sounds like they're just filling you in on it - that's all :)

Apr 2, 09 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
average_american

Anyone else get one of these? I don't really know what to think of it...

http://onmatter.org/material/photo.jpg

Apr 2, 09 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

julzie:

gsd

Apr 2, 09 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
kungapa

average_american - they actually sent that out? Amazingly funny if that is the case.

Apr 3, 09 2:39 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

In case you didn't get the reference, it is for:

http://icanhascheezburger.com/

Apr 3, 09 2:39 am  · 
 · 
watanabe

looks like some students 'hacked' the MIT admission envelopes?

Also I read this on gradcafe:

"Guys just letting you know you could send an email to GSD and ask for your status online."

True/false?

Apr 3, 09 8:47 am  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

MIT seriously sent out that lolcat!?!?

Apr 3, 09 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Update"

UT- IN
Pratt - IN
SCI-Arc (2 year) - Wait-list (if anyone knows they aren't going, please let the admissions office know!!!)
UCLA - Wait-list
Parsons - Wait-list
USC - ???

Lots of waiting...

Apr 3, 09 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
DreamDesign

Hmmm... No thoughts from anyone on Cornell waitlist !

Anyone going to Cornell ?
Accepted & NOT going there ...
Anyone attending the open house today ?

Would love to hear !

Congrats to everyone who got accepted for M.Arch !!!

Apr 3, 09 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

is anyone contemplating leaving a job for school? I currently have a job with some security. I'm caught up in the economy hype today and getting kind of weirded out about leaving steady employment for loans...

did MIT really send that? i hope so :)

Apr 3, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
average_american

yes, MIT totally sent that. On the back is a hand written note of congratulations from the administrative officer. Hilarious, if not a bit offsetting ;-)

Apr 3, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
MINIme

la_la: im in the same boat... currently employed, but only staffed through the summer as of now. id hate to keep my job, get laid off in july, and miss out on having grad school. right now im either going to ride it out, move home and collect unemployment through the summer if i get laid off, or quit when the time comes. to make matters worse, my lease is up at the end of next month and i have to decide what im doing since my (unemployed) roomie is def moving back home before grad school. such awkward timing for everything!! first things first: i have to be accepted... STILL waiting on two schools.

has anyone applied to/heard from UK-Lexington's new 2-yr MArch?

Apr 3, 09 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
inigojonesin

hobopjs...anything from berkeley yet???

Apr 3, 09 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

accepted to cornell, not going.

sci-arc's acceptance letter came in the mail today. they called last week to offer a full scholarship, however, they failed to mention on the phone what was included in the letter: "the award is given to just one student each year"

i am definitely not a strong enough candidate to have earned this award, and if i remember correctly, two people from this blog also received full scholarships. did your letters mention that it was given to only one student.

it's funny, but this new information is seriously pulling at me. sci-arc and berkeley were my top choices for a while (thinking i'd get rejected from columbia, cornell, and gsd). i even wrote to myself in early february: "trey, you know you hated boston, you know you want to be on the west coast...don't let an acceptance to harvard seduce you."

i can say with certainty that i will be attending the gsd, but i cannot say with certainty why that makes sense, and why i've shut down all other offers.

someone want to knock some sense into me? possibly a grad from berkeley or sci-arc?

Apr 4, 09 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
average_american

_juut

In my opinion it is not about money or location. It is about who you want to study with and the opportunities/education that a particular school can provide. Just decide what you would like to be doing in 5 years and decide which school can get you there... plus, you can always move to the west coast after ;-)

Apr 4, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
kaywris

how should i prepare for attending an open house of the school i'm waitlisted at (and really want to get in!!) ?

Apr 4, 09 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
hobopajamas

inigo...
berkeley's a no.
kind of expected it though?

Apr 4, 09 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Aaron Plewke

40 cameraphone pics from the WashU Open House weekend...

off to Philly in a few hours for Penn's Open House. hope to see some of you there...

Apr 5, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
newport2009

any of you guys thinking of working part time at an arch. firm? if you end up working 2 days....do you think 16 hrs. a week out of your school time (probably more like 20, when do you ever leave on the dot?) will be catastrophic to m.arch 1 first year? thanks

Apr 5, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
Entasis79

I have a question about scholarships.

How crazy is it to go back to a school and ask for more fellowship money??? I REALLY want to go to RISD, and they have offered me money, BUT I got a HUGE scholarship from another school.

I want to make sure RISD knows I DEF want to be there, but I just need a bit more help money-wise. Should I bring up the other scholarship offer? Can I ask for more money?!?!?!

Apr 5, 09 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
watanabe

While we're all talking about money; how likely is it to get a TA for a m.arch I student after their first semester? Seems like we'd be pretty useless (ie: on the same page as) undergrad's.

Also, are these even common in m.arch programs? What % of tuition would they cover, usually? Is it possible to have one and keep up with studio work?

Apr 5, 09 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: