Archinect
anchor

Nice Handles for Nanawall?

farwest1

We're installing a couple of Nanawalls on a pretty minimal modern home. Much to my chagrin, the local distributor has essentially told me that there's only one handle they install: a cheap plastic thing that looks like 1970s IKEA. They had no advice or suggestions beyond that.

Has anyone had this experience? Did you find any nice modern stainless steel handles that worked on a Nanawall?

Thanks.

Apr 14, 08 3:05 pm
holz.box

fsb, fsb, fsb...

Apr 14, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aluminum or wood. farwest? I realize it's hard to see in this pic, but here is the stock plastic "silverized" handle on a stock aluminum nanawall installation - it's OK, not glaringly ugly in context. I think you shouldn't worry too much about it. As hardware goes, it works fine, and I would think trying to substitute a cooler handle would void the warranty and be a bigger fuss than it's worth. Just make sure all the OTHER hardware in the project is awesome (not like mine, where the contractor slipped in all white hardware w/o asking and the client didn't want to change it).

Apr 14, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Oh yeah! That's exactly what I was looking for. You're always at the ready with a cool reference, holz.box.

Apr 14, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Crap I wish I'd seen those fsb door stops last week when I needed them!

Apr 14, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Nice project, lb! It's hard to tell what the handles are. Are they the plastic ones that Hewi makes? Or is your Nanawall distributor offering something nicer perhaps?

Apr 14, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

not that i'm a snob, but i kinda prefer it. they have a nice weight to them as well

Apr 14, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

Nanawall has a spec on their website regarding what you need to know when using 3rd party hardware (spindle size...). I'm doing the same thing for one of our projects right now.

Apr 14, 08 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

holz.box,

any sense of what a typical handle costs, relative to a brand like Hafele or Baldwin?

(I love that one of their handles was designed by Ludwig Wittgenstein!)

Apr 14, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

oh man, i think it's maybe $200 installed?

Apr 14, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

G+U

Apr 14, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

They're the Hewi ones, farwest. It's silver-ish, which is fine because it disappears on the aluminum frame. if I'd done wood doors I would have tried for a dark bronze (ish) finish, or black.

Oh man, I also wish I'd known their was a Wittgenstein handle!!! I did find a good floor mounted door stop, a stainless cylinder with black rubber ring which is the one I put in my own house three years ago, but differently proportioned and not as nice as that fsb one.

Apr 14, 08 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think this has been done elsewhere, but i'm having difficulty finding.

occais. we'll drop the us10b but it typically ends up being brushed stainless.

some other modern hardware mfrs:

nanz

[/url=http://www.dline.com/start.HTM]d_line[/url]

valli e valli

olivari

omnia

sch;age L-series (one or two that aren't awful)

RDS

karcher design

mandelli

colombo

ize - london based ironmonger w/ e. parry, adjaye and sergison bates designed hardware
adjaye for ize

make architects for ize

Apr 15, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

whoops...
d_line

Apr 15, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: