Archinect
anchor

progressive design firms looking for techs

shaner

im curious to see if there are any design oriented firms out there looking for architectural technologists with good technical skills.

I've can put together a full set and perform total coordination between all disciplines. I have great BIM (Revit) and CAD skills. As well as photoshop, artlantis, sketchup, etc etc.

I've got a solid portfolio. Its full of great design work from college and tonns of technical stuff from work. I'm looking to expand my design experience and learn from new progressive designers. The stuff i do at work is much more "production" and most of our clients already have their designs set or have their own corporate designers.

Im not looking for a job at this moment or asking for a job on here. I'm just thinking of going to school in sept 2009 and would like to get some different experience before i go. Id like to know what im in for!

Thanks for your thoughts

oh. i currently hold a 3 year technical diploma in architectural technology and over 3 years full time experience.

Apr 13, 08 10:46 pm
erjonsn

Have you talked with Passa, McLean, or perhaps Architecttura? Although none may be as progressive as you would prefer, they're more exciting than Glos.

My heart breaks every time I see the new bus terminal in view of the art gallery.

Apr 13, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

im not really looking for new work. im just thinking if i got to school in 2009 i can get some different experience. im not sure the firms you mentioned would be any better.

i was more curious to see if the really design orientated firms had any interest in guys like me.

i think the firms you mentioned have the same client types as glos. i see them all putting up the same "neo-eclectic" type buildings.

id really like to see some really innovative stuff. i dont think there is anyone around here doing stuff like that.

my questions was more generic. do design orientated firms need techs?

Apr 13, 08 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

oh. and i think the terminal is a great addition to Windsor. its an innovative design that works well with Windsors master plan. its meets all of the design criteria and more and also came in under budget. thats alot more than most of people can say about their work

Apr 13, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

depends on the office. not many have the money for staff like that until they hit a certain size and notoriety. foster's office has a whole team of technical guys that develop the computer tools to facilitate their design process. a few smaller ones are developing or show an interest in that type of thing, but it comes down to a financial constraint mostly.

Apr 14, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 
shaner

ya thats what i was thinking. i guess most progressive firms are usually made up of a few designers who do most of their own technical work too.

Apr 14, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
erjonsn

What a beautiful arena!

I like how the barn style design of the new downtown bus depot alludes to the City of Windsor's failure to keep their actual arena downtown, and close to people.

Oh yeah, forgot this as well

Sorry to semi-hijack the thread!

Apr 14, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: