Archinect
anchor

Definition of "Consultant"?

RankStranger

Trying to do business in New York and trying to figure out what an architecture firm can legally farm out and what can be done by a "consultant."

NYS defines engineers, architects, land surveyors, "certified" interior designers and more. NYS specifically states that even though the title of "certified interior designer" is protected, apparently anyone can be an "interior designer" (sounds really stupid). So there's an easy one. But what about the rest? Facade consultants, specifications writers, lighting consultants, acoustic consultants, code consultants, LEED consultants, drafters . . . the list goes on. Do any of these need any sort of license? Can design (or non-design) work legally be delegated to these "non-professional" firms according to NYS? Or any other state for that matter - I guess this doesn't have to by NYS specific.

Realistically, you can add them all up and the architect becomes no more than a coordinator of consultants and engineers to create the end product. I've searched high and low on the NYS Office of Professions website and in various AIA locations and can not for the life of me find a definition of "consultant".

Any thoughts, opinions, facts?

Apr 13, 08 1:01 pm

it's not going to be defined legally because it's not exactly a legal distinction. check the dictionary.

you can have a consultant for anything. you can have a tile color consultant, a sofa size consultant, or a pillow firmness consultant if you think you need them and they can convince you that they've got the expertise.

...and if you're client believes you need them and doesn't wonder why you're not just providing their function under your general services.

Apr 13, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ooh, a pillow firmness consultant. do they get to jet aroudn the world testing out the density of different stuffing & foam densities? how highly coveted are they?

Apr 13, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
dznrman

I'm an interior designer and the whole certified thing really bugs me. I'm formally educated and have been working at an architectural firm for two years. I'll be taking the NCIDQ in the fall, then I can put CID (certified interior designer) after my name, yet anybody can call themselves an interior designer. That makes no sense to me.

Apr 14, 08 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Consultant .... can't walk the talk. Like all the planning "consultants" I meet who talk and present and hobnob but don't really know how to actually get anything built. There the ones with all the binder's in there offices.

Apr 14, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: