Archinect
anchor

Moving to San Francisco

SDR

In San Francisco I pay about $25/mo for gas (stove) and electricity. Heat is provided by the landlord.

May 14, 08 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

SBd- how goes the job/apartment search?

Jul 2, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Job is done, now I need to sell my car here first, and then I can get out to SF.

Currently trying to find a moving company that doesn't cost a fortune and has the option of storing my stuff incase I can't leave (car hasn't sold) when my stuff does, and so I have a week or so to look for an apartment when I get there......aaaaaugh!

treekiller, was that you that emailed me?

Jul 2, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

yeah.

good luck with the hunt!

there are no cheap moving companies or cheap truck rentals. bite the bullet and pay for folks to do all the heavy lifting. it makes a huge difference and doesn't cost that much more.

Jul 2, 08 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Ok, my pod's arriving tomorrow, I'll spend the next few days unpacking, and the Del Sol has been sold.

Issues at hand:

1. Practical living with out a car in Oakland. I've been considering purchasing a new Honda Fit, a car with great MPG, great resale value, and great versatility. I may be able to live in a place that isn't as convenient with local shops and offset the payments with lower rent. I would still take public transit into SF daily for work, but I would have this car for errands, getting around, and trips across California. Then in a year or two when I would move more into the city, I could sell the car if I couldn't afford it or need it.

2. If I don't do the car, I still need to get a plane ticket and travel with my cat.

3. I'd like to leave for California either by plane or car by next Monday (21st).

4. Once I get there, I need temporary residence that can take my cat (a motel perhaps) while I apartment shop for a week.

5. I then am schedule to start work on the 29th.

6. I think things have been narrowed down to Piedmont or N.Oakland area. Still trying to look and its too tough trying to figure this all out at once....AAUGH!

Jul 15, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

While there is this San Francisco discourse, I was wondering if people could comment on the city's current and proposed density.

Generally, it seems like the city has managed density better than any other. Do you think there will be continued 'Manhattanization' on the Peninsula? Where specifically is it occurring (corridors/tangents/zones)? Does it parallel gentrification trends?

I am typically pro density and see it value in the health of cities (social and env. sustainability)- above past, antiquated zoning and styles.

Jul 16, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

sbd- congrats on landing a job (that seems to be news)
we have a fit- great car for commuting/city driving. not sure if it is ideal for a road trip, but that's what we have. for parking in the city, I'd even consider a smart fourtwo.

transporting a cat x-country is a big deal- last time, his plane tix cost more then mine. we're looking into pet transportation agencies, otherwise we're looking at having to place him in a kennel for many weeks or an extra flight with him.

good luck packing the pod. try to fill up every gap with boxes- even empty fedex boxes - to keep stuff from shifting and bouncing. Can you rent furniture pads?

Jul 16, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
knock

yes, you can safely live in the tenderloin. Crazies galore, but I have never once been messed with in 6 years ....

I would suggest living north of Geary if at all possible, though. It gets dicey south of geary. Actually, living in lower nob hill/tender loin (the Tendernob, currently dubbed) is a pretty affordable place to live, or at least through a few years ago. It kinda grinds on ya a bit, i've recently moved the other side of van ness in lower pac heights, but its proximity to the rest of the city is great.

If it doesn't have pictures, be skeptical. If it says no drugs and there are not roomates, then you are probably looking at an SRO so don't even think about it.

As for density, its called south beach/mission bay. I think the planning department has done a pretty good job keeping lots of dense development out of the more picturesque neighborhoods, but it is def. displacing some manuf. and industries to the south, so some of the edgier areas are losing their character. I just wish they would stop approving lots of these heinous new towers, and put a moratorium on blue-green glass .

Jul 16, 08 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

what, you don't like the new intercontinental?

or the millenium?

or rincon tower?

or infinity?

tough crowd i guess.

Jul 16, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

I see- thanks for the images- for me, the Federal Building beats all of those

Jul 16, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

No doubt. And Mayne's lovely metal monster includes a nice throwback: frosty green glass on the north face. The brand-new towers above all sport the latest trend -- blue glazing.

Jul 16, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
knock

I do really like the infinity ... exception to the rule...

I LOATHE the intercontinenial.

the Rincon is growing on me, millenium too early to tell, but skeptical. But all the blue is giving me the blues.

I actually love the north face of the federal building.

I'm assuming the blue glazing is more an economical measure to meet energy codes rather than a trend? ... aka, skyscraper with tight schedule, need views out on all sides, curtain wall the only way to meet T24.

Funny enough, I actually like how the BLU is looking. I prefer the blue grey, it gets away from the bluegreen that screams MIAMI at me every day. I guess the Millenium has this two. A big "Thank you" to Handel. Its funny to wikipedia any of these, there is a slew of info on each of them.

Also, anyone know of the steel highrise going up in the same area (near the infinity i think .... sorry, don't know of the name) ... everything thus far has been reinforced concrete, i'm trying to find out why they're building this one all steel, schedule? doesn't seem to make sense. possibly something to do with the geometry near the base?

Jul 16, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Are any of the Octavia Blvd. Compitition projects being realized?

Jul 20, 08 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Ok, I'm here....In a motel....with my cat....and no place to live....

Gonna try calling more people today, but craigslist is limited when you select cat as an option, and no one is returning emails or calls. Any help would be great.

Any archinecters wanna get together this week for something?

Jul 23, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: