Archinect
anchor

interesting dormers?

meowmeow

Hi everyone, I'm working on an academic project on a campus that is full of pitched roofs and dormers and I'm looking for some interesting, unique, more "modern" dormer styles. Does anyone know of any worthwhile projects to look at?

Apr 11, 08 3:35 pm
rambleon

this one's really old and every first year student knows it i'm sure....but it could be called a dormer...kind of?

Apr 11, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

why not head over to the library. you know that old building with the dormers on it and do some freaking research.

Apr 11, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Doesn't seem very modern to imitate. Why do you want to imitate dormers?

Apr 11, 08 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

coop himmelblau's stuff is really old????

guess i better crawl onto that ice floe soon.....

Apr 11, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
meowmeow

I'm sorry, last time I checked forums were a good place to share information and seek out information to be shared. And who said anything about imitating...ever heard of precedents?

Apr 12, 08 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ask youself "Why is a dormer shaped the way it is on this building vs. the way it is shaped on that one? What is a user getting when they get a dormer, what is an architect providing the user when they design one? How does a dormer effect the overall exterior appearance of the building, what is the dormer's interior shape relative to its exterior expression? How many floors should/can a dormer impact? How does a dormer affect water movement on the roof and air movement in the interior? Should a dormer be the same material as the body of the building, and what is it accomplishing differently if it is not? What is the purpose of a dormer?"

You'll find your answer somewhere in there.

Apr 12, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I find that the icbo 2003 building code has put a real damper on dormers on additions to colonial homes. The free 5.7 square feet
required for egress results in a dormer which is way out of poportion,
yet people keep slapping them on additions to houses and new houses just because a dormer if part of New Englands Colonial Vocabulary. It is sad!

Apr 13, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

s You might want to view this flicker slide show of Goffs Ford House. You will see what might be called a dormer about 2/3's of the way thru the set. It brings light into the bedroom of the house. I looked
at this thing in the field and could never figure out how the hell they
could ever build something like this without it leaking, yet there are
no signs of water damage in the house and I didn't find any gypsum board 10 gallon buckets stuck around the corner.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45747476@N00/sets/72157602035167523/show/

Apr 13, 08 10:02 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm not very fond of dormers as an arch. device, though i had one with a great view growing up.

is the sawtooth the modern version of the dormer?

Apr 13, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: