Archinect
anchor

Things to See and Do in Austin

mad+dash

hey everyone,
long time no post. thought it was time to get back in to it. I looked through old postings about Austin and couldn't find anything other than stuff about UT and their M. Arch.

What should I look into for this weekend in terms of cool architecture, food, and activities? It's my first time in Texas, I'm scared.

Apr 10, 08 2:17 am
Sarah Hamilton

Whats so scary about Texas?

Apr 10, 08 9:18 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

wish I was in Austin
In the Chili Parlour Bar
Drinkin' Mad Dog Margaritas
And not carin' where you are

But here I sit in Dublin
Just rollin' cigarettes
Holdin' back and chokin' back
The shakes with every breath

Chorus

Forgive me all my anger
Forgive me all my faults
There's no need to forgive me
For thinkin' what I thought
I loved you from the git go
I'll love you till I die
I loved you on the Spanish steps
The day you said goodbye

I am just a poor boy
Work's my middle name
If money was a reason
I would not be the same

I'll stand up and be counted
I'll face up to the truth
I'll walk away from trouble
But I can't walk away from you

I have been to Fort Worth
I have been to Spain
I have been to proud
To come in out of the rain

I have seen the David
I've seen the Mona Lisa too
I have heard Doc Watson
Play Columbus Stockade Blues

Apr 10, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Austin doesn't have Texans anymore...it is all Californians and those from the upper midwest and northeast who wanted a liberal island that doesn't freeze so often.

Go spend some time around auditorium shores...lots of new buildings and landscaping that is nice around there all the way to Zilker...and if you have some extra time make it out to Llano and eat some Coopers BBQ...best in the world...Enchanted Rock is about 30 minutes from there if you want to get a nice hike in too.

enjoy, it is a nice place...I really doubt you will be disappointed or scared...and learn to say ya'll.

Apr 10, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 
ross

there's an art festival downtown this weekend on one of the bridges.

Apr 10, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

austin... massachusetts?

Apr 10, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
rambleon

you've got to eat at ruby's bbq on 29th and guadalupe. and then go get wasted at trudy's a couple of blocks up from there.

Apr 11, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

If you can, stay at the Hotel San Jose on South Congress; its a renovated motor court (by Lake/Flato) and probably the most exquiste non-residential architecture in the city; have a sandwich at Jo's Coffee next door and explore the South Congress area (beware, however, Hotel San Jose is major party center, so you won't get any sleep until well after midnight).

On 1st Street (parallel to Congress), a little bit south of the river, there is a nice Taco stand under some oak trees - go there at night, when the trees are lit up

Predock's City Hall

Lots of cool lofts in the East Austin area - head east on 5th street or the railroad tracks from the I-35; grab lunch or coffee at the Progress Cafe

To the north of Austin, "The Domain" is one of those instant town centers / lifestyle center / mixed-use developments - worth seeing if that sort of stuff interests you

West Downtown - check out the Whole Foods - its the headquarters and Store #1, and freakin' huge

2nd Street downtown is being transformed into a new urban district - one block is complete - the streetscape is nice

The original UT Austin campus

6th Street downtown any Friday or Saturday night, when it turns into a huge party

And hang out under the south embankment of the Congress Street bridge around 6-7pm (near dusk) when all the bats take flight

Apr 12, 08 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: