Archinect
anchor

Please help me find this BOOK

cou2

I might be stabbing in the dark here. I’m looking for this book of modern homes that my father had when I was a kid (in the 80’s). Since it was so long ago, I don’t remember too many of the details. It was a large hard cover book, medium thickness, probably published in the 70’s. Black and white pictures. Recently I asked my parents about the book and my mother said she probably threw it away. My father couldn’t remember the name of it.

The only house that I remember for sure was the Hoffman house by Richard Meier. I think I remember seeing Case Study House 22 by Pierre Koenig in it as well – maybe other case study houses as well - not sure. Could have been some Philip Johnson in there also. They were mostly mid-century modern homes and some of the of the “contemporary” style homes of the 60’s and 70’s. There was another house I remember vaguely, somewhere in the southern US (probably California or Florida) – that was a circular or polygon-like design with a courtyard at the center.

I know it’s not very specific – but any ideas would be great. I remember liking the book as a kid – it might bring back some good memories.

Apr 9, 08 9:20 am
SDR

Could it have been. . .25 Years of Record Houses (1984) ?

Meier, Smith (1968)

Neutra, Serulnic (1956)

Rudolph, Milam (1963)

Johnson,______ (1962)

Noyes, ______ (1956)

Franzen ,______ (1960)

Pei, Slayton (1964)

Jones & Emmons, Jones (1956)

Jacobsen, ______ (1971)

Noyes, Noyes (1957)

Breuer, Greico (1956)

Gund, Shapleigh (1979) -- is this your "courtyard" ?

Apr 10, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
SDR

If so, it's readily available:

http://www.antiqbook.co.nz/boox/tib/20237.shtml

Apr 10, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Hey -- I take it back -- THIS is your book:

http://www.populuxebooks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_77&products_id=555

I have this, too, if you want any images. The Meier Hoffman house is there. . .

Apr 10, 08 2:15 am  · 
 · 
SDR
http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/bbn/86916.shtml

$25 !

Apr 10, 08 2:18 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Yep, that's it - knew it right away when saw that one with the courtyard in the center. I also vividly remember that top picture - Who designed that one? It's amazing the stuff you remember. I was probably ten the last time I saw it - over 17 years ago. Thanks SDR.

Apr 10, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

It's the David Graham residence, by Arthur Erickson (Erickson/Massey Architects), 1963, in Vancouver. It was demolished Dec 6, 2007, despite considerable protest. It was built with cedar-clad box beams.

Apr 10, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Why would anyone demolish that? It looked like such a nice place.

Apr 10, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the 80s were not that long ago...the kid is not my son.

Apr 10, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: