Archinect
anchor

london - nyc salary comparison

dillup.

beforemaking the SEARCH THE THREADS!! accusation, know that i did, pretty thoroughly, without finding much.

how do salaries compare in these two cities? my understanding is that yes, london is more expensive.

i'm just wondering... if i expected say a $50k (+benefits) salary / lifestyle in nyc, what would that equate to in london? 25k bp? 28k? 30k?

thanks

Apr 8, 08 11:48 pm
modernmonk

hmm... what kind of lifestyle (or if there is any) will one get for usd50k?

Apr 9, 08 9:18 am  · 
 · 
dillup.

uhh... ask anyone sharing a decent apartment in park slope, LES, astoria, fort green, carroll gardens, east village, clinton hill, green point, willimasburg, etc. etc. etc.

Apr 9, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
modernmonk

oh... i am going to miss my studio right across from cafeteria.

Apr 9, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

no idea about London

but in NYC 50 is doable w/ a roommate and as long as you don't have copious amounts of loans/debt to pay and/or don't expect to drink alot/often

i'm in gramercy w/ a roommate, own living room, own bedroom, share kitchen and bath and including utilities pay less than 900

eating out all the time b/c you don't have time to cook (or space) is what is the killer financially

Apr 9, 08 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
Spikette

Hmm, maybe this will help you: http://www.jobsarchitect.com/
Last time I checked that website salaries went from £25k to £100k per year. If you're going to have a roommate the minimun will be good enough for you to live over there in London.
Take in hand that currently 1 GBP = 1,9708 USD

Apr 12, 08 2:34 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Ok, here was my take from living in London,

First off, if you are there for a semi-permament move, then think in pounds. You have to, otherwise you won't have any fun!

I made 15k pounds, which wasn't much at all, but it was co-op so they could screw me. Also, it depends on where you want to live, and what you're willing to live in. For instance, I lived in a 4 bedroom place, but all we had extra was a kitchen. It was dirty and in an old big brick apartment complex. But it did the trick for 500 pounds a month. Want a nicer place? 700 pounds a month would do you. Now you could live on the outskirts of zone 2, and 500 pounds or less would get you much better, but bank on taking the tube -subwau- everyday (ill get to later why that may suck). I lived in Camden, right next to Kings Cross, where I worked, and could walk. These are up and coming hip parts of town.

Now, with 15k/yr in salary, I was spending 12k/yr in rent. So that was no good. At my rent, I needed to be making 36k/ry (that way my housing is only 1/3rd of my paycheck). But that's even rough, because while London may be the 5th most expensive city, it was recently ranked the 1st most expensive city to eat. Food is high, restaurants are high. For example, I went to the grocery store for lunch when I was at work. A shitty sandwhich, a bottle of coke, and a small bag of crisps usually cost me 4-5 pounds (thats 10 bucks). But again, if you are working there for a good length of time like 2-3+ years, don't think in dollars.

The Tube: London's tube is quaint and a bit ol' fun. However, it can be pricy and uncomfortable. First off, don't get scared about a tube ride in one zone costs 4 pds. It does, but if you get a 5pound refillable ouster card, its 1.5 pds. And buses go from 2 to .9 pences. But, if you need to take the tube every day to work, it will cost you between 25-28 pds for weekly passes, or 93-110 pds for monthly passes. These are unlimited though on the tube, buses, trams, overground, and national rail lines in the zones u purchase. Other bad thing, certain lines (like the Northern line) are PACKED during rush, and the tube doesn't have air conditioning. Some of the new stations are conditioned, but still, not the trains. Ever sweated through your jacket in spring time? Yeah, well I have. It's gross, but you can take comfort that the hot chick next to you is doing the same.

But man, the travel is cheap, wanna go to Scotland for 30 pds round trip flight? No problem. Wanna go to Stockholm for 40 pds round trip flight? NO problem. Wanna go to Greece for 120 pds round trip flight? You got it. Just plan far enough ahead, it's crazy, and the rest of Europe is .75 to 1 for you.

So there you have it. I would say you could do it for under 35k pounds, but I would recommend trying to get closer to 40k pounds. It all depends on how the firm sees you. Some will say you're an American, and they can pay you half. Others won't. I knew plenty of people in my firm that weren't that educated or experience making mid to upper 30s and living well. Plus, if you have loans, all that "extra" cash you have is suddenly double than what it would be worth in NYC, and you can pay them back faster theoretically. Oh, and London is STARVING for architects. There is seriously a shortage of them in that City. And the UK isn't in any recession like us (not as long as Scotland and the RBS stays within the system).

Apr 12, 08 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Simple response:

45,000 NYC Dollars = 36,000 London Pounds.....rough estimate.

Apr 12, 08 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

wow, $50k sounds like a LOT of money to me. It's funny to hear how you get that much money but you still need to have roommates. Kind of kills my optimism about life.

Apr 13, 08 12:57 am  · 
 · 

There's more to life than New York City.

Apr 13, 08 2:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: