Archinect
anchor

Berlin - Flughafen Tempelhof

nb072

Anyone seen this very realistic plan for reusing Berlin's famous 1930s Tempelhof airport? From an urbanism perspective, it looks pretty interesting: using an old airport and architectural icon as a basis for a new neighborhood on the periphery of its extinct runways. Anyone have more images or information about it?

http://www.stadtentwicklung.berlin.de/aktuell/pressebox/archiv_volltext.shtml?arch_0803/nachricht2972.html

Apr 8, 08 11:45 pm
holz.box

man, that's ok. there was a recent competition in iceland i think, that was light years better...

one of the winning entries turned the runways into a giant greenspace.

searching for it now

Apr 9, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
cowerd

it is here:
http://www.vatnsmyri.is/enexhib.asp

Apr 9, 08 1:19 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

grazie mille. i looked for about 20 minutes and gave up.

Apr 9, 08 1:34 am  · 
 · 
mleitner

There was a proposal for a unified university campus on the site of the former Airport. Excerpt from an article (Economist):

"All of this makes an idea of Michael Burda, an economics professor at Humboldt University, tantalising: to reunify his alma mater with the Free University, give the new institution greater autonomy and make Tempelhof its home. This “Free Humboldt University” would not only have one of the world's more intriguing campuses (imagine top professors jetting into this Third Reich colossus for lectures), but also help Berlin to trim its hard-pressed budget."

I think that would have been a great plan. As far as I can see the proposal shown above is dumb at best. A new great park completely cut off from major city connectors, just surrounded by housing. The a morph shape lacks any clear characteristic - it actually resembles those pre-made back yard ponds sold at home improvement stores.

Berlin is a great city but its politics of planning have been a continuous disaster, wrecked by ineptitude and ignorance.

Apr 9, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i agree. on a slightly smaller scale, though, like BIG's klovermarken, i think it would be amazing. i can't imagine having that much open space in a capital city...

Apr 9, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

Yeah, I agree that despite how great of a place Berlin is, its local politics have squelched design innovation (i.e. the mandates of "historical reconstruction" that have resulted in so many stone-clad boring things getting built). That said, despite the tame scheme, I'm excited that Tempelhof airport will at least be used for *something*, since they were talking about tearing it down completely before.

Apr 9, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Thanks for posting this. It just sent me on a trip back to when I lived a few blocks off that map.
I really loved Berlin.

Apr 9, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
med.

ITT Tech

Apr 10, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: