Archinect
anchor

What would you do?

stabilo

Teach at a decent school or do 75% admin at a pseudo-starchatect firm?

(admin = copies, coffee, dishes, sweeping, printing, ordering lunch, etc. for 10-16 hours a day + weekends)

Apr 8, 08 5:05 pm
usernametaken

teaching sounds like more fun than being a waiter/cleaner.

Apr 8, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i'd teach.

Apr 8, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

look at the way you phrased the question. therein lies the answer.

Apr 8, 08 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

would you be teaching coffee, copies, sweeping, printing, ordering lunch and wiping asses?

Apr 8, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

depends who you have to teach
depends who the architect is and what you can learn and what you do that 25% of the time

Apr 8, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

teach

Apr 8, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

unless you really like to make coffee and sweep

Apr 8, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I agree with Vado. Will you be teaching the students how to sweep and make coffee. If you can only either teach or sweep, do you really think that you are qualified to teach?

Apr 8, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

how many copies need to be made that you would be making them for 10-16 hours per day?

this is a ridiculous set of variables to try and compare, no offense.

Apr 8, 08 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mighty

what should our friend be ordering for lunch???

also, what is your preferred method of coffee making?

Apr 8, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I agree with mighty. If you're qualified to teach, shouldn't you be over-qualified for making coffee?

Apr 8, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

seems to me the questions you should be asking yourself are: a) what am I trying to accomplish in my career; and b) which of these two situations would move me along that path faster?

sometimes the quickest route to a great situation is being on the spot when the need is identified. some years back I hired a young designer to help out with some mundane, mindless task for 3-days. we were so impressed by the work accomplished and the attitude demonstrated that this person never left -- turned into a great professional and a great employee.

Apr 8, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

he shuold be ordering tall glasses of shut-the-hell-up for the dipshits who treat him this way, and my preferred method of coffee making is what i call cowboy.

loose grinds in a pot.

no really...this is alright too, but not cheap:

$20k for a coffee brewer custom built in japan. you prolly' saw it in the times and everywhere else a month or so back. from bluebottle coffee roasters in san fran.

Apr 8, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

"should"

i seem to always juxtapose those damn u's an o's lately. typing too fast me thinks.

Apr 8, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

should, got to, need to, must, have to

what do these amstprache statements have in common?

Apr 8, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Do you actually have a job teaching at a decent school? Teaching jobs are not easy to find. At least not the kind that will actually pay you enough to make the rent.

Apr 8, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mighty

that thing looks like a meth lab

Apr 8, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
stabilo

you guys are quick to act. It's really odd how the profession works. Maybe I'm just not fitting in at this place, or its incredibly inefficient, or both.

mdler..yes, someone does think I am qualified, and other people are a bit too understaffed o do much about anything.

Apr 8, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

coffee/meth...whatever, they both rot 'yer teeth!!

Apr 8, 08 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

butternut reduction

Apr 8, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

reduced nut butter?

Apr 8, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: