Archinect
anchor

IDP progress

I thought it might be interesting to see how people compare in terms of IDP progress. No specifics like how many units of this category and that category you might have.

I've been working for a firm for the last 9 months or so right out of grad school and worked for 2 other firms while in school, once for a summer job and another part-time 20 hr weeks for 2 yrs while in grad school. Given the total number of units required, which is 700 for someone w/ a professional degree, I'm roughly 2/3 of the way finished. From what I've heard from co-workers who are licensed or finished w/ IDP, it can often be the case where one fills up a lot of useful units and then towards the end has a really hard time getting the categories that are harder, to come by (ie: cost analysis, bidding and contract negoiation, site observation).

But anyway, I thought this could be kind of a useful entry to see how some experiences compare to others in terms of diversity in IDP progression. So, for those of you that are still enrolled in IDP, how do you stand? For those that have completed IDP, how long did everything take and do you feel prepared to take the ARE once you've met all requirements?

Apr 7, 08 1:57 pm
holz.box

service hours suck my a**

Apr 7, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

sorry, yo yo yo, but you can't count part-time work unless it fits some kind of crazy requirements... can't remember what they are, but I can tell you that my 20hours/week during school did *not* count. Also, you can't count any full-time work unless you do it continuously for more than 13 weeks -- which usually rules out most summer jobs. Happened to me, too. In fact the large majority of my office experience has not counted. If I looked at experience counted percentage, it would probably be somewhere around 10% or something.

...which explains why I am many years out of school but only have about 1.5 years logged. Rargh.

Apr 7, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Full time work must be continuous for a minimum of 8 consecutive weeks (used to be 10 weeks until they changed it a couple years ago. never was 13 weeks), for no less than 35 hours per week. Most summer jobs will count, if planned to last 8 weeks consecutively.

Part-time work must be a minimum of 6 consecutive months, with no less than 20 hours per week.

A few states - including New York - have additional rules that say that you must have at least 3 full years of work after graduation, and that work completed while you were enrolled as a student (half-time or more) does not count for licensing purposes in those states.

Apr 7, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

I havent logged my hours yet ..i am doing it very shortly ..but ill say after 1 year this is about how i would log it

1. Programming 1 of 10
2. Site and Environmental Analysis 0 of 10
3. Schematic Design 3 of 15
4. Engineering Systems Coordination 15 of 15
5. Building Cost Analysis 0 of 10
6. Code Research 2 of 15
7. Design Development 10 of 40
8. Construction Documents 170 of 135
9. Specifications & Materials Research 1 of 15
10. Document Checking & Coordination 10 of 10

11. Bidding & Contract Negotiation 0 of 10
12. Construction Phase—Office 0 of 15-what is this? CA?
13. Construction Phase—Observation 0 of 15-what is this? CA?

14. Project Management 0 of 15
15. Office Management 0 of 10

16. Professional and Community Service 0 of 10

Apr 8, 08 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Yes, 12 & 13 are CA... "office" work like SKs, memos, shop drawing review, etc. and "observation" as in actual field work (coordination meetings on site... punchlisting... etc.)

Apr 8, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Hmm, maybe I can count 'supervising' the geotechnical site investigation as CA observation...
with 30 units of CA + 50 units of CDs left and all my office does is masterplanning and schematic design. So I'm looking to be loaned out this summer for those units.

this is 3 years after grad school & 14 years after my bs.arch that started the IDP clock ticking.

Apr 8, 08 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Damn, Barry, you old or something? :D

Apr 8, 08 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

between my balding head and scattered grey hair, I might be :-)

Apr 8, 08 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
atsama

here's my count:

3.5 yrs at a firm after my m.arch, + one summer during grad school at a firm (12 weeks, so it counts - i had an undergrad BA with a major in arch, and when i sent my stuff into NCARB to register intially, they said that my 7 months between undergrad and grad did not count, but my summer job mid-grad school did)

the part of my firm i am in mostly does master planning and schematic design (i came here intitially b/c i wanted to learn urban design). I am now around 65% done with a zillion hours in schematic, and site analysis (those will be my 235 random credits), and a few other things (including cost estimating, b/c you do that for master plans sometimes...) and practically ) in DD, CD, and anything relating to CA.

at my recent employee review i voiced my concern that i would not ever get to the other 35% at this firm, and they balked and said they would help me - which means probably loanign me to another part of the firm to get me the relevant experience.

i will admit, however, that i pursued urban design wtih teh knowledge that it woudl take me longer to count all these hours....but in a big firm (as i am in) it doenst seem to matter as much if you are licensed or not. i.e plenty of non-licensed people here designing and managing.

as my boss always says "to the client, we're all architects, only we know the difference."

Apr 9, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

ditto organization and proactiveness.

13 months of internship
270 NCARB verified credits
graduate with M.Arch in August

Apr 9, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Lando

is proactiveness really a word?

Apr 9, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

eh...i'm functioning sans siesta, so i'm going with it.

Apr 9, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

pro·ac·tive or pro-ac·tive (pr-ktv)
adj.

Acting in advance to deal with an expected difficulty; anticipatory: proactive steps to prevent terrorism.

pro·action n.
pro·active·ly adv.
pro·active·ness, proac·tivi·ty n.

Apr 9, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Lando

wow! I never knew that. Thanks.

Apr 9, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

For me the hardest thing to get were the 30 "floating" units in Construction Administration. There are the 40 units in that category that have to be in specific subject areas (10 in Bidding/Contracts, 15 in CA office tasks, 15 in CA site tasks) - but there are 70 units required in CA total. It took a long time to get all those extra 30!

It also sucked that I had a lot of IDP units before graduation, that I earned while working half-time and summers, but those basically don't count for registration in NY. By the time I was done with IDP and eligible to start testing in my state I had nearly twice the required number of IDP units.

Apr 9, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

proactive, proactive, proactive
in my office theres not a day that i dont fight to be more involved.
organization in my limited experience has been key as well.

Apr 9, 08 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: