Archinect
anchor

Intesting Facades

sunsetsam

I was wondering if you archinectors knew any interesting/successful facades on high-rises. I was looking through the "Name that Architect and Building!!!" thread and i saw some beautiful and unique facades, but I need to see more.

Can you share any firms or any speicif architects that have created unique, original facades.

Greatly Appreciated!

Apr 6, 08 9:31 pm
some person

"interesting" is a meaningless word. If you define it, I bet more people will respond to your post.

Apr 6, 08 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

damn, i was hoping this was actually a thread for interesting facades

Apr 6, 08 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I was going to post a pic but my Flicker page wont let me grab the URL - anyone else have this issue?

Apr 7, 08 10:04 am  · 
 · 
mdler

those guys in Germany did some good ones

Apr 7, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Flickr alone won't do it anymore (did it used to ?). You need a web host like Yahoo Small Business Web Hosting.

Apr 7, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i know you guys hate him, but this pic is quite beautiful.

Apr 7, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Per hates him; we ignore or dismiss him. Is that better ?

Apr 7, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Okay, let's continue with DJ Tanner's line of posting.

Innovations in curtainwall and their influence on the appearance of buildings.

Kronjylland Savings Bank, 3XN

Apr 7, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Chilexpress, Guillermo Hevia

Apr 7, 08 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

I really appreciate the posts.

The reason I am asking is because we have to design a facade, and I am having a hard time not trying to be so mundane and repetitive, being over-rhythmic. I am little worried of pulling a corbusier with "freeing the facade" and not being successful. Any Suggestion?

Our professor was quite lose with the program, the building was going to be located in DC, it did not have to conform with the neighboring buildings, but you must have a reason why it does not. The site is actually quite small, 4500 SQ FT, and the height is between 150-160 FT.

Apr 7, 08 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Maybe an interesting approach could be to *break* the facade... Facades conventionally are faces of a building. What about a facade that is more about passage than face? Permeability, layers, what the facade does, as much as what it looks like?

Apr 7, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy

Apr 7, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy
Apr 7, 08 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
brooklynboy
Apr 7, 08 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

toyo ito's tod's building
Herzog & de Meuron’s Prada Building

Apr 8, 08 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

That's better

Apr 8, 08 10:00 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

see the work done by:

front inc
dewhurst mcfarlane
bob heintges

these are just a few in new york that seem to do some interesting stuff. and for some of the highest profile architects in the world.

there are, of course, also:

kieran timberlake
who have done some really interesting research into prefabricated facades and installed one onto the engineering building at UPenn....

do i need to talk about more here.....do your own research

Apr 8, 08 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: