Archinect
anchor

New York Institute of Technology School of Architecture

asdflkijd

To whom it may concern,
I am currently a freshman in college and I have been accepted to NYIT's school of architecture, I tried looked up articles on google but NYIT doesn't seem to be well known.. Can anyone give any advice/ views on the schools architecture program? I am thinking about completing my undergrad studies there and then depending on how things go, I would like to transfer over to Harvard Graduate School of Design ;). Thanks
Peter,

Apr 6, 08 1:17 am
difficultfix

I think the Important thing is that you are commited to your schooling, and it dosent really matter where you go to school as long as you have the dedication and are capable of creating great work.
Most people in undergrad seem to be more concerned with their social life then their education, I tell you this because i went through the same.

Apr 6, 08 10:53 am  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

I have also gotten a fair amount of grants to go to that school so I am really considering it. I understand that the undergraduate programs are just to start you off into the professional career field but I do believe that hard work pays off. I was just curious if anyone had any prior experience or knew anything about the school of architecture at NYIT. I heard that there are a lot of professors from Cooper U and etc etc. I'm hoping to also find an internship as well..
Peter,

Apr 6, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

which school do you want to attend, manhattan or Old Westbury?

Apr 6, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Manhattan because I've heard that the Manhattan one is better for architecture, and also, since it is in the city, where as the Old Westbury is in the suburbs..

Apr 6, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

Yeah, Old West. is faaaaaaaaarrrrrr...Well that is you'll need a car. However, I did take classes at both campuses and I can say that at that time, about 3-4 years ago, the facilities were better at Old West. Since then,I heard there were many improvements in the city campus. That's probably due to the reaccreditation from NAAB. Several of the tenured faculty teaches classes in both campuses. Final review for thesis will be in Old West. All I can say is that I have no regrets as far as the education I received there. Many prospective employers were pretty much impressed with the quality of my portfolio. The Career Center rocks in Manhattan. NYIT has a great library ( only second to that of Columbia) and has an inter-borrow system. No regrets... Just remember foundation year (as in many other schools) will be the weeding out year. Just be prepared, work hard, research & ask questions, interact/dialogue with fellow classmates and you'll do fine...Good Luck!

Apr 6, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Rozz, did you attend the same school as i did? because compared to Pratt, CCNY, Cooper, Columbia, and NJIT, NYIT Manhattan has by far and away the worst facilities off all the architecture schools in the tri-state.

If I could do it all again, I would've gone somewhere else knowing what I know now.

Apr 6, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

I am not too much worried about the facility, but the education.. I have heard the bad stories of the "slums" of the NYIT campus's.. I am trying to get an idea of their undergraduate architecture program.

Rozz, what is your background? Are you a full time architect now?

Apurimac, same question to you, are you a full time architect? And is the campus the only reason why you would not consider it over Prat,, CCNY, Cooper and Columbia..?

Apr 6, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm finishing up my education there. Facilities make a huge difference in arch school. Being able to have your own desk, access to a good shop, access to decent computing facilities, no 3D printing and laser cutting services and a myriad of other issues makes it really bad value for the money you will spend. I was given a huge scholarship and it still wasn't enough to cover the approx 20k tuition, plus approx 10k in room, board, materials, and textbooks. You spend all your time working on studio projects anyway so there really isn't much of a good reason to go to arch school in NYC.

Apr 6, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Logicoverwishfulthinking

Hey are you NYIT alumni? I got accepted to MS AUD at NYIT and Umich. any suggestion for me which one should I pick? I am inclining to NYIT for New york and career prospect. Is it true they have high rate of employment for Grads?

Apr 16, 22 3:30 am  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

hmm.. well the way I see it is that there are better opportunities in NYC especially for the field of architecture, design etc.. since the major firms are working near and professors have some what connections you should be able to get internships and such... I suppose that the insufficient resources at the school make it a lot difficult for you to concentrate on your studies, but how have you gotten around those? arent there printing shops such as Kinkos etc. nearby that you can use? and also, I thought the library was decent? someone in the earlier post said that it was second to Columbia? I don't know about that but, what is your take on that?? I was given around 40k.. some grants and some loans, either way cost is not much of a cocern, I am more concerned about the professors there, and their teaching styles.. Do you get a lot of hands on experience with the architecture program? also, if you found internships, how hard was it, are the professors willing to help etc etc.. sorry for the major load of questions, lol... most importantly do they offer drafting boards in the dormatories in Manhattan? and if not, what and where did you go to use drafting boards? studios? I tried looking at all of these information on google, but there isn't any information on it.. Thats why I am asking through boards such as this one, and it has been very helpful so far, I also was wondering if you have any pictures of the studios and classrooms? also the dorms... btw, what year are you now? And where are you thinking about completing your masters? Thanks for reading,
Peter

Apr 6, 08 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac
most importantly do they offer drafting boards in the dormatories in Manhattan?

This comment actually made me laugh.

Look, I don't really like talking about NYtech because we bitch about it on a daily basis at school. This is normal, most students begin to hate their schools by their senior/super senior year but alot of us at NYtech have a deep seated anger towards the school. Bottom line is, they ask the world like all arch schools do, and they give you nothing to work with. Its all on you to get it done, you work from home 90% of the time and there is hardly a studio culture. I've gotten an internship out of one of my professor's networks but it did not come lightly and most students get internships by pounding pavement, we go out and we find work. You wont just walk into the career networking center and have them hand a job to you. The faculty is like every other arch school, a few very good professors, many mediocre professors, and a few bad professors. From what I know its like that everywhere.

I'm not going to get a masters in architecture, I'm finishing my professional B.arch then I'm getting an MBA.

Apr 6, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Ok, well if you don't want to talk about it thats fine.. Whats wrong with drafting boards in the dorms? Most architectural schools offer it.. how else would you get your work done, esp. if there isn't a studio to work in... I'm not asking them to hand me an internship/ job, by all means I know what hard work is.. Anywho thanks for the info.

Can anyone else give any insight on the school?
Peter,

Apr 6, 08 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

It's called you go to pearl paint in chinatown and buy a drafting table/board. Then you walk across the street to Chinatown Building Supplies and buy all the woodworking tools you will need because most professors at NYtech heavily favor physical modeling over drawings and computer models. I've poured concrete in my bathtub, set a carpet on fire, covered the courtyard of our dorm building in spray paint and generally damaged property. If your smart you'll get a cheap apartment in Jersey, take the money you save by not living in Manhattan to cover rental cars, work from home and drive large models to school on review dates. You'll get a two bedroom apartment and convert the other room into a studio, you'll buy all the woodworking tools you cant find or use at school and buy a drafting table. After all that is done and you've graduated from NYtech you will have spent more than double your tuition on just accomplishing all this. You will realize you could have gone to CCNY getting a B.Arch, then spent 1.5 years at Harvard getting an M.arch and you will have spent less money. Look mate, your a new guy and you come on here asking a million and one different questions, I'm just giving you my honest opinion.

Attend school somewhere else.

Apr 7, 08 12:01 am  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

lol, I thought you didn't want to talk about the school.. Thanks for the tips, but I will most likely end up at NYIT because of the scholarships..

Apr 7, 08 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

That's exactly what happened to me, that and I wanted to study in manhattan.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

And if your starting next year I'll be in thesis drop by if you want to.

Apr 7, 08 12:41 am  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Thanks for your honest opinion, and for the offer, I might have to hold you to it ;). BTW, I also didn't apply to CCNY, which I probably should have, I just sent them an e-mail to see if they would consider looking at my application. So you'd say over CCNY and NYIT.. CCNY>NYIT? I guess the campus does look a lot nicer.. I can't even find a mustard seed sized picture for NYIT campus/ stuido....

Apr 7, 08 12:49 am  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

who cares about nyc? why don't you pick a program where you have studio space...

Apr 7, 08 1:21 am  · 
 · 
l8rpeace
new studio spaces in manhattan

- aka the dungeon (you should really try searching the archives on THIS site, not just a general search engine).

supposedly manhattan will have a laser cutter up and running some time soon, but there is a ventilation problem halting that now. They do have a reasonable (but small) wood shop with somewhat limited hours, but you have your staples in there - table saw, scroll saw, different band saws, radial arm saw, drill press, belt sander, some jigs and hand tools as well. there is stringent student policy against using power tools outside of the shop, violation of which will get your gear confiscated (liability issue). so you have to plan your time well if you want to use tools at the school. outside of that, don't slice up a desktop, don't make a model from a tabletop, don't spraypaint anything OR use plastic chemical adhesives (new rules) and you will be fine.

the studios are open m-f, 8 am-12 am (as long as the school is open) and on saturdays with limited access. lately, you have also been able to go there on sundays, too. the studio (save for the thesis room) is open access, so you don't get a designated desk and/or space for storage (except for a 1'x4'x1.5' locker). so there is no place to put you large model with any degree of security (I have had models and materials stolen and thrown away). if the current plan holds up, by thesis year you will get a desk in a locked room. however, this past semester, there was a miscommunication with the cleaning crew and 60% of the thesis projects were thrown out at the half-way point. *sigh*...just had to get that in there.

the library keeps reasonable hours, too. those are on the website. the biggest advantage is that you have NYPL access (inherent as a nyc student) and inter-library loan/passes to other libraries. you can actually get inter-library loans quicker from columbia, cooper, and (by going yourself) nypl than you can the old westbury architecture library at nyit. nyit manhattan library is limited, to say the least, whether you are looking for architectural materials or otherwise. all this adds up to access to best libraries in the world, all a subway ride away (because the nyit manhattan library isn't one of them).

the faculty is reasonable. you will end up, as with any other architecture school in the nyc area, with a travelling band of professors that teach/have taught at other schools. sure, we have tenured faculty that teach ONLY at either manhattan or old westbury (sometimes at both campuses), but we have a much greater adjunct faculty population in the studio classes (all but 2 of my 10 studio classes have been taught by adjuncts - and I had to request a full-time professor one of those 2 times).

a great many of these adjuncts step right in after earning their m.arch at columbia. I have had 5 of my 9 studio professors come from columbia (thesis is 2 semesters and I have the same professor). be it full-time or adjunct faculty, we have an advantage by going to school in new york city - you can find great jurors if you try. my suggestion is to invite your own, however, since professors may not always bring great jurors. they are easy to find in nyc. also, nyc is a great place for observing dense urbanism, great art and events, and a myriad of other things to your liking.

which is a good segue...contacts in nyc. you can make better contacts here than anywhere else, because there are so many in such close proximity. don't rely on the faculty to hook you up with a job, because they may or may not do it. that's almost a non-factor, since there is an abundance of offices in new york with work.

the computer culture is bizzare in nyit manhattan, especially for a "technology" school. we actually have some pretty good resources - 7-8 color plotters, two dedicated architecture computer labs (replete with 3d max, revit, acad, and cs3). the cirriculumn has moved towards a heavier computer-related focus, with more required visualization classes utilizing the computer. so you have the resources, and you will be taught some things about design related software, but be prepared to work on your own and learn these programs on your own -most of the faculty either doesn't know computers OR they don't know the software. this is ok, though, because these kinds of things become more familiar to a student while experimenting on their own, imo.

also, all of these resources will be PACKED with people come review time (mid-semester and finals), be they woodshop, computer, plotter, or studio space.

the architecture classes can be pretty good. however, your classes outside of the architecture department will largely suck. I count only three classes I had outside of the architecture department (9 out of the 60 credits I took in a 169 credit bachelors of architecture cirriculumn) that were worthwhile, one in fine arts (photography with prof. grundy) and two in the writing department (both with dr. stephens). otherwise, these other 51 credits have been an absolute waste of time, taught with neglect, apathy, and disregard for the students. but hey, an architectural education has to be rounded out, I suppose...

the school, being in nyc, is urban-studies oriented. in studio, you will rarely design on anything other than the urban scale. this is not to say that you will design a bunch of cities, but you won't make a house, either. our projects (outside of the fundamentals classes) have been infills, stand-alone 2 story projects, one landscape, mixed use building, housing, urban design, urban long span structure, and then thesis (which is "recommended" by the faculty to keep in a local setting).

the school itself is run from old westbury. there are no administrative vp or dean positions (save dean of students, manhattan) that have offices in manhattan. our architecture dean shows up occassionally, suprising considering she lives around the corner from the manhattan campus (she has a little office in manhattan occupied by the assistant dean), but in her defense, she has been travelling around the world lately. from what I can tell, all other amenities are similar (career services, bursar, registrar) between nyc and ow.

you can figure out cost for yourself, so I won't bother.

those are the facts, for the most part, mixed in with opinion. here is some strictly opinion-based info. you will have to fight for your education (don't know if that is universal, but allow me to explain). there's a high degree of student apathy, from my experience. I never thought this would matter, and I proceeded as such until it actually impacted me. some classes are cut short or dumbed down to cater to this student apathy. and it hurts, especially when you are trying so hard. however, with real hard work (some/most of which will be your own drive and perseverence) you can get a decent education. you will find some professors that care - in studio, imas, palazzolo, ke, fulk, and crespo are fantastic...non-studio arch classes, get vossoughian (history), urick (structures), nolan (computers), and especially dr. taylor (history).

again, you will fight for this education, and it will test your patience and resourcefulness, because you need to find your own space/tools/materials/information to make things. you will be at a disadvantage not only to the other nyc schools who have better resources in this regard (which I hear all do and I have seen cooper union definetly does), but to the old westbury campus as well (they have better resources in old westbury, from shop to studio to library). in fact, I have heard the nyit manhattan campus referred to as the ugly stepchild of the old westbury campus. you need to suck it up and deal...I practically have frequent flyer miles for how many times I took the NJ transit trains to my other studio (and I live in manhattan).

and, unfortunately, sometimes the lack of resources at the school brings down professor expectations, which can be a motivating factor for a student. it also drives some professors away prior to hiring OR after they have worked there as an adjunct. I've confirmed both of these things through conversation with former professors, and it makes me sad. there is a ridiculous drop-off in student work after the weed out years (first, second year, df1, df2, d1, d2), and professors have openly complained about that, too. so you just have to maintain that focus.

however, with all that said, I can't answer your true question...should you go here? I don't know enough about other schools to answer that. hope this helps, since this is my last semester at nyit manhattan (barch) and I guess I have seen it all. I assume that, since you want the gsd 1.5 march, you will attempt to attain a barch accredited 5 year degree first. just out of curiosity, what are your deciding factors?

Apr 7, 08 2:52 am  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Thanks for your awesome post, you have practically summed up everything that I was looking for and COULD NOT find... I swear I was on google searching to hours went over and over each link, page and then the cycle repeats.... I am glad that they are adding new studios and making changes to their campus.. I really want to study in Manhattan and by no means do I expect it to be easy, I've learned that hard work pays off and I plan on doing so. Honestly my main deciding factor was because this was my second choice in NY (first choice was Pratt) But I was declined admission from Pratt. I thought about staying back another year at the UW, and wasting yet another year of precious time that I could have been spending in a studio.. Also, I have received a good amount of financial aid (both including grants and loans of course).. After getting my Barch, I plan on going for my M.arch and then come back to NY..

Apr 7, 08 3:15 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Hey L8r! Haven't seen you around here in a while.

I agree with everything posted above, but NYtech doesn't hand you a thing and will ask the world of you. Its all down to you and how you use your time there. If your gonna go, take advantage of the location more then the school. Walk the streets, sketch, attend lectures at other schools, hang out at the center for architecture, see shows at the MoMA. The city is you studio, treat it as such.

Apr 7, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Thanks man, I am excited to study in Manhattan, I think its the perfect place for this profession.. Even though the school may not allow it, :/

Apr 7, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Just follow l8r's advice. I really do advise getting a cheap place in Jersey/Queens/Bronx where you can setup your own little studio. The dorms are good for making new friends but its a real struggle to get any work done there because of how small the rooms are/roomates/etc. You'll also save a fortune in room and board.

Pearl Paint has specials on drafting boards at the beginning of the school year, so I suggest going there to order/pick up supplies. If you can get a friend to drive for you its even better because you want have to get them to deliver all your stuff.

A good place to pick up dimensional lumber, foam, and plywood is Chinatown Building supplies which is right across Broadway from pearl one block south of canal st. Dyke's in HK is a great source for wood & ply. If you have to live in the Riverside dorms than mikes is just down the block on 88th st towards broadway.

Buy all your architecture textbooks, you'll use them as a professional.
If you have to get non-arch textbooks buy them online and you'll save a fortune.

Some profs to avoid-
Xu (econ)
Schwartz (statics)

Profs to take-
Ke* (studio)
Palazzolo* (studio)
Imas (studio/don't take him if your employed and have a small apartment/dorm)
Urick (concrete/adv. structures)

Buy a nice laptop with a fast processor, but light enough to haul on the train everyday.

If they're still running it by the time you're in 3rd year, take the trip to China with Ke/Dockery.

Apr 7, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Thanks for the advice apurimac, I have a MBP and will probably be using that, since I can just run Windows on Paralles or Virtual Dsktop. I was thinking about getting a place near upper east side (below the rockafellar plaza) or near columbia.. I saw an ad on craigslist for a 2bdroom apt studio for ~1500.. kind of pricey but it was fairly nice.. How hard was the commute from Jersey to NYIT every day? I am also highly considering attending lectures/ seminars from other schools/ professors (if I can that is..). I heard that there was a study abroad program in Europe? any intake on that? China would be my second choice..

Apr 7, 08 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

As far as summers abroad China was by far and away the best money i've ever spent on my education and I was able to use my professor's connections there to get an internship in Shanghai, l8rpeace got lost in Tibet for a month after the program was over. You can always go to italy, but to go to china on your own would probably be a hugely bewildering experience. To each there own though, but just realize it is so easy to get lost in Italy for a summer by yourself and you'd spend half the money.

If you can afford a $1500 apartment in midtown then go for it. I've lived in the dorms the whole time i've been there, but the students with the best projects usually have access to studio space outside of school.

Commutes in to Manhattan depend on where you would wind up in Jersey, could be 10 minutes if you live next to a PATH station, could be an hour. Queens/Bronx is a better bet for an easy commute.

Apr 7, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Hmm, I would be skeptical about getting lost in another Country lol... Well I tried to justify the $1500 a month for about 10 months, and it almost equals to that of a Sinlge Large Dorm annualy, at either Clark or Riverside... And since they seem to be smaller and doesn't even have a meal plan, I don't really see the benefit of going there, since its also located quite a ways from the actual campus.. Like you said, if I did get an apt. I would look for one with a larger living room or a 2 bdroom to reserve one for my studio/ study space.. Its a bummer that the school's studio isn't open overnight.. Have students tried to change that? Or another alternative would be to get a cheaper apt in Jersey or somethings like you said and just purchase a commuter car for 2k and or a bus pass.. So many different ways to approach this situation.. :( What dorm did you live in? From the pictures, Riverside looks a lot better, Clark looks kind of childish (with all the fruity colors..).

Apr 7, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

what's up, a-mac (can't call you by your real name, because you yelled at me last time, and can't call you "apu" because I think that is a shitty nickname). so, a-mac it is. and yes, I did get lost in tibet for a while...and now I cry with every image I see that leaks through the red veil, because I recognize the store fronts and the spaces and the streets and, sometimes, the people...

ok, I don't know what level of hand drafting is even required at the school anymore. I have been a TA in 4 different studio courses and one history course, and I have seen the change (both in the students I TA'd and the work I did in lower level studios). It seems that, these days, more and more work is being done on the computer, even in the earlier studio courses. What you need is work space, in general, to make models, to approach and clear your thoughts.

I have no idea what the dorms can accomplish (financially and space-wise), because I have never seen a dorm. I have my own place in Manhattan which is OK for drawing and making small models, and I have a studio in Jersey. the commute to that studio on the train (door-to-door) is over 2 hours, by car 40 minutes.

you can buy two saw horses and a flat door and make a great table that will last you for 5 years without buying a fancy drafting table. on that, you can attach a parallel ruler if necessary. you can get a small band saw and some hand tools (mini-mitre saw, basswood stick chopper, mini-clamps) and make loads of small model stuff. metropolitan lumber may deliver, and canal street is just a subway ride away. However, consider buying your basswood online. I have found that, even with 2 day shipping you get better prices (and you can buy in bulk...you will need it for 5 years, more or less). with storage, that stuff should be taking up no more than 75 sf, if you pack it all up well enough when you are done AND you manage your work in stages so you can do models all at once, and then drawings all at once, etc.

I have worked in the apartment of a friend with such a setup...three of us working on a group project in a studio apartment @ 400 sf. bandsaw on the open kitchen counter, computer at the desk, and another foldable table with smaller model stuff...with a bed in the room. It actually worked out well, but that is less than 1/2 the size of my apartment here, and I pay more than 1500/month on the LES (but my commute is only 20 - 30 minutes to the school even with one train change, which is important in a city that lives minute-by-minute).

Why do I do large scale work in Jersey? Because I can weld there, I can actually man the table saw by myself, I can get materials there without having to drag them around on the subway, I can get better/more diverse materials in jersey from my experience, and I can get away from the campy and distracting night-life culture that sometimes invades the 24 hour (overnight) studio time when it is apportioned. Also, the wood shop in manhattan I would estimate at no more than 500 sf, which is tiny, especially when the mid-review and final review rush is on and there is a line 4 people deep at each band saw. If you never need to make big things, then don't worry about it...you can take a "wait-and-see" approach to getting an outside studio if you can swing an apartment space capable of handling a work area to make small models, do small drawings, and house your mac book pro on the side.

but hey, you can always drag all your materials, tools, and drawings to school every single day and work in the open studios from 8 am until midnight if you schedule your time right. I have seen people attempt this...none terribly successfully.

So, yeah, the school is, in fact, open upon request overnight. But you need at least 13 signatures to make that kind of request of the school, you need 48 hours lead time to present the petition to have an overnight studio (so they can notify the security company for overnight guards) and for overnight work the wood shop is not open. the school in manhattan has been more lenient about approving overnight studio requests lately, but time was when, at the end of the semester, they would run out of funding for security and you just couldn't get approval on any more overnight studios. don't get me wrong...they have quite a few of these overnight studios, but you need to explicitly request them (which is a pain sometimes in terms of time management - because you don't necessarily see them coming).

summer programs abroad are rotating based on which professors are offering different programs and which students have interest in the programs themselves. last year there was no italy program, it was only berlin and china. this year, they have two italy programs along with china (and maybe even berlin again). these programs are generally for upperclassmen, and the studio abroad counts for design 4 or 5.

biggest thing...be smart about how you transport your models. first year studios start at 9 (the am classes) or 6 (the pm classes), and both are rush hour subway commutes. pack those models up tight, because I have seen so many horror stories appear in studio (models smashed & broken, covered in someone's coffee, etc) over the years.

Apr 7, 08 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

As far as the models, what about just taking the taxi on review days? that would sure as hell give me some relieved stress and pressure, instead of traveling with careless people, like you said, students have gotten their models destroyed :(

Apr 8, 08 12:23 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I always take cabs on review days, but the last time I made a really nice wood model i made it at school and left it there. If your going to use the school wood shop, budget time accordingly. It really is easiest just to get a studio though and stock it yourself, the best students typically take that route.

Apr 8, 08 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Oh and I can speak of the dorms because I live there. Alot of arch students do but you'll struggle to get work done if you have a roomate and the singles are really cramped. The dorms are great for making friends/networking and it might not be too bad an idea to spend your first year or semester there. If you get an arch for a roommate its much easier. The above advice would still apply though, get a drafting/work table (hollow doors work too as l8r noted) and have them take the small shitty desks out of the room.

Apr 8, 08 9:44 am  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

Hmm, so when you mean studio are you talking about the studio apartments that you can live in and work or just a studio for working? Because the studios I've seen are close to the tuition rates at NYIT. When you left your wood model at school, did you have any problems with other people messing with it?

Apr 8, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

A studio to work in, some folks in the dorms would use their parent's garage/basement/etc. on weekends.

Models left at school die painful deaths but they'll last overnight till review typically if their stored someplace off to the side. Eventually they decay and die regardless of people messing with them. One of the biggest advantages to having dedicated studio space is you have a safe place to keep all your models. I had to throw all mine away at the end of each academic year. Models can get very expensive and time consuming to make so its nice if you can keep them.

Apr 8, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
asdflkijd

I might just try and get a 2brm or large 1 bdrm apt/ studio so I can either A.) have a separate room dedicated as my studio and workspace, or B.) set up a studio in the living room and eventually clean up/ re-assemble after I am done with work... option A, I think will get kind of pricey @_@

Apr 8, 08 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

Wow, I haven't check this site in a couple of days( my bosses are trying to get us on lockdown-long story)...and yeah I can agree from what most people say about NYIT. I did my studio work mostly if not all at home. I have a setup here and the commute into the city was easy. You are right about the studios (or lack of) in the Manhattan Campus. But I remember that at least the kids in Old West HAD space LOL. I can't tell you how it is now, but like I said before YOU have to make the most of it. Most of my classmates would do their work at home, pull all-nighters. or during finals, stay at the school for at least 24 hours. That is basically it, but no regrets...Hey does anyone know is Prof. Griffin is still there? or how about Prof. Dadras(senior) wit them big pimpin' link chains?

Apr 8, 08 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
jaymo24

Hey guys,

Im a recent BArch graduate and i got accepted to NYIT's only masters program in Arch, which is the post professional MArch in Urban and Regional Design. Im so glad i got in, but im also waiting for two other schools' decisions, Pratt and Columbia.

I got my acceptance letter last Friday, and was surprised that I have to fill out and send back to them a reply form within 2WEEKS. Pratt and Columbia arent sending out results till late March/early April, so i feel hesitant towards sending the form back to NYIT already because i also have to include in it a $500-check for tuition deposit. My mom told me to gamble, like pay that huge amount so in case i dont get in to the other two schools i would still be able to go to NYIT then. But still, thats 500!

I am also having second thoughts of going to NYIT because most stuff ive read here and somewhere else online are saying that going to the school is not worth the money, facilities are crap, etc. Even my dad's friends told me not to go there, but I know that it's still up to me to decide. Though one time i went to the Manhattan bldg, to the 11th floor and saw displayed works by current MArch students, which i was impressed. Also ive read here that Michael Schwarting is a great professor, who's actually the director of the program i got in, so id really like to learn from him.

So my questions are, should I gamble the 500 deposit, or ask the admissions for extension till i hear back from Columbia or Pratt, or do not go to NYIT at all (btw my actual order of school preference Columbia, Pratt then NYIT as last)? And does anybody know how good (or bad) this specific program is?

Id really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!!!

Feb 24, 09 1:01 am  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

As a BARCH ugrad, I took a joint grad/ugrad history seminar on urban studies as a required course one semester and was EMBARRASSED by how little the march students knew. I have also never, EVER seen the work of the march students on display at nyit campus in the 5 years I attended (graduated last may). So, I am not sure what you saw on floor 11.

schwarting is a great professor from what I hear, but I don't know if he's still there, ar as active if he's around...I heard they had cut down his time (nyit is notorious for being slow to remove things from their website; once I had a professor who had died and was still listed on the faculty website for 3 years). but I heard this all second hand.

also, call the admissions people at nyit and find out if you really need to have that deposit in so early...I thought all nyit admissions were rolling.

Feb 24, 09 1:29 am  · 
 · 
jaymo24

Oops, my bad.. maybe i was looking at senior/4th year undergrad works... but yeah i found them interesting.

Yep, schwarting is still the graduate program director, I got a call from someone from the admissions office and told me to call mr schwarting but i ended up leaving a message in his voice mail and havent heard back yet. sucks.

So the MAURD is a bit unknown, eh? And wow, couldnt imagine how little the students knew that made you "all-caps" embarrassed. LOL. And it looks like there's not much NYIT people here in the forums, so maybe i should look for other answers somewhere else. Thanks, l8rpeace.

Feb 24, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: