Archinect
anchor

The type of work post M.Arch for an experienced engineer

zigfromsa

Hey all,

I wanted to know what sort of work environment an engineer with about 8 years experience and a Masters in MechEng can expect after going through the M.Arch and entering the architecture field.

My experience pre-arch will be in process plant projects (at the coordinator and manager level) with emphasis on mechanicals and construction.
On top of that I have some construction/reno side business experience which I hope to further develop during the M.Arch.

I say "will be", b/c I'm considering the M.arch in about 2 or 3 years.

Anyway any info on the pay scale/work/hours I could expect at boutiques/starchitect's/corporates/in general would be much appreciated.

Also, I've noticed that quite a few firms have employees whom are both engineers and architects (Zeidler here in Toronto is one example), what is the perception in the field of these sorts of people?

Thanks

Apr 4, 08 10:54 am
vado retro

why would you expect anymore as an intern archi. most firms farm their engineering out and if you are doing it in the office the billable hours are about the same. you would just be the intern that can size a beam or calculate the size of a duct. similar to the intern that can make a 3d model. and sometimes its a negatory to have that kind of experience as many of these firms have the idea that they will mold their interns into the kind of automaton they want to have. i went to grad school with engineers who couldnt design their way out of a bag and probably still can't and others who were incredibly talented.

Apr 4, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

zig- depends on what you seek and what your interests are. project management seems a natural fit, along with running sustainable design energy simulations. Your first job in architecture may place you back at the bottom of the ladder, but your experience will help you climb back up quickly - might take a year or two, then you'll be about where you are before starting the m.arch.

or just find an AE firm and keep up engineering after the m.arch.

Apr 4, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
zigfromsa

thanks guys,
I think I'm already on the road towards construction management, I'm looking at an M.Arch primarily to gain insight into the archi aspect of construction, ideally I'd love to be a developer of re-use buildings and/or green/sustainable buildings (preferably residential). I also think that many McHomes today lack beauty b/c "it's more expensive to build", however that's not necssarily true in my opinion. I think people will pay for a unique home and for a home that not only makes them feel warm and cozy about saving the planet but also leads to cheaper bills <---especially this part.

treekiller,
It's funny you should mention sustainable design, I've been doing alot of that stuff lately on my own, using my century home as a test pad, I'm having lotsa fun and learning a heck of a lot but racking up debt like crazy. I'm trying to convince my friends to reno their basements, so that I can try out some ideas on their dime ;-)

PS. sorry about the fragmented thoughts, I'm going on 4 hrs of sleep.

Apr 4, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I would avoid an M. Arch, unless you plan to practice as an architect. There must be other routes to get the insight you are after without the late nights in studio (all in vain) and debt.

Apr 5, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: