Archinect
anchor

Sustainable Design certificates

futureinthepast

I have been researching Sustainable Design Certificate programs offered by many schools of architecture and would like feedback from all of you on the value of attaining such a certificate.

Here are a few programs:
http://www.mcad.edu/showPage.php?status=1&pageID=1311
http://www.continuinged.uiuc.edu/chicago/
http://www.the-bac.edu/x350.xml
www.extension.ucdavis.edu

Some questions:

Besides LEED AP, if one was interested in further education and specialty in Sustainable Design, would a certificate help achieve that goal?

Do any of you have a certificate like the aforementioned?

Firm managers/owners; how valuable is a certificate in sustainable design in hiring an employee? To your practice?

Thank you for your time and honesty.

Apr 4, 08 8:53 am
4arch

LEED AP just measures your ability to read a book and regurgitate.

Apr 4, 08 8:58 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

so do most of those certificates though
so does passing most of your classes in school
so does passing the ARE for the most part

i would think it would look good for any prospective employees, but not a huge factor. i imagine it probably means less than having your LEED AP
still cant hurt though

Apr 4, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I wish i could afford to be sustainable

Apr 4, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
montu

So 4arch what would you recommend?

Apr 4, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

certificates are nice and such. maybe I'll even hire somebody with one, but it is the green attitude that I really am looking for. If you are serious, get an MS or post-pro M.Arch or go study with a OG guru. get some research and experience under your belt. build a little, love a little, live a little. don't think that a few classes that skim the surface will make you any greener then kermit.

gribbit.

Apr 4, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

those few classes are a way to skim the surface and see whats out there
why is that wrong?
i dont think anyone is saying that if you take a class and get a certificate or LEED certified, then you are an expert
but to completely dismiss them is ridiculous

Apr 4, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
kanu

I often have this reoccuring desire to cut my self off from society and force myself to learn to be sustainable.

For instance, if you compare sustainable design to a foriegn language, you can learn and take classes all you want but will never truely understand what it takes to function in a forgien society untill you go there and are forced to speak and interact with people for your very survial.

can we ever truley know how to design and build a sustainable building without being forced to do it, and live it?

Wouldn't it be a great experince to just go live on an isolated piece of land for a few years and force yourself to build a house with your bare hands and whats avalible on that site?

has anyone here done such a thing?

i know alot of architects use their own house as an experiment in design and a jumping point for career advancment. why not make it a truely sustainable one, instead of this fau greenwashed bullshit that is prepetuating its way through our profession.

Apr 4, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

sustainable means you have a present as well as a future. denying the present is not useful.

early settlers in the area i grew up in built houses out of sod cuz there were no trees. they had to pick the insects out of their bedding and lots of people died, but i guess they were sustainable cuz they left no real trace of their lives. not really sustainable though, cuz mostly they just suffered and died. whats the point of that?

Apr 4, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: