Archinect
anchor

ARE study tips?

FOUAD

Anyone have a recommendation on books to use when studying for the ARE?

I found many on amazon and not sure which are good and which are not.

Apr 3, 08 10:02 pm
garpike

areforum.org is a great resource. Just beware the negativity of those who fail exams.

Also check out this thread:
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=51965_0_42_0_C

I know how hard it is to search "are". Ha.

Apr 3, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beware those that whine for free study materials on the areforum

practice makes perfect.

there is a major shift in the ARE's thanks to NCARB's desire for selling books and messing with interns lives. So figure out which version of the test you want to take before april 2009.

Apr 3, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Charles Ellinwood

areforum.org is a fine resource for getting prepared for the exams.

study material wise...i have used the ALS Guides and Ballast for the multiple choice tests along with MEEB for the MEP exam. but, the best study guide i have found is simply working. if you are able to really get into a project from start to finish, you should be able to get exposure to all sorts of good stuff that you will be tested on.

it seems to me that a lot of people jump into the exams as soon as they are eligible and end up failing needlessly. that is both expensive and time consuming.

that being said, GO FOR IT!!!

Apr 4, 08 4:52 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Check out areforum.org for the graphic exams. They have lots of hints, etc. As for the mult-choice I used the Kaplan ALS study guides, practice exams. Also had an old set of the flashcards, the non kaplan ones, forget the name. For the first exam I studied like mad...read the book, did the practice exams over and over and over again, etc. By the last exam I just winged it on my professional experience (M&E Systems). Passed them all. Honestly, the people at areforum.org are flippin' idiots. The hardest thing about those exams are finding the time and getting the courage to go in and take them. I have one exam left and have been letting excuses like work/family keep me from taking it. Do note that there are obscure questions...things you have never heard of or seen in a study guide. Relax, because the other 75% of the questions are give aways. Odds are you get some of the obsure ones right on straight guesses and you'll easily get 80% or better. Good luck!

Apr 4, 08 8:38 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

After re-reading I should clarify. The exams are easy for anyone with some real architecture work experience. Three to five years is enough to grasp the concepts. I do not encourage people to start testing with zero "real world" experience working under a registered architect. Going straight from university to the ARE's is a path to failure. But, if you honestly completed IDP you should be more than ready for the exams.

Apr 4, 08 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Rottnme

areforum.org is a great site. There are those with negativity but I found that being able to read/discuss with people in the same boat as you helped keep me motivated. Their ftp site has info that helped me with quite a few questions and they have a nice system for helping study for the graphic sections. Getting involved is the key.

As for books/guides, Kaplan Complete is EXPENSIVE but worth it. I'd also recommend Dorf Solutions and Archiflash flash cards. It's quite a bit but if you want to pass that will do it for you if you just add study time.

Lastly, I find that dilly dallying around gets noone anywhere. If you want it you'll be willing to put your nose to the grindstone and get it done. Good luck!

Apr 4, 08 8:51 am  · 
 · 
4arch

there isn't any single sure-fire book or resource to study for the ARE. kaplan, ballast, and archiflash are all good jumping off points, but you will also want to look at a variety of other sources, depending on the test. although i agree with others that there are a lot of alarmists on areforum, it's still a good place to get advice on which materials to study for a particular test.

before you go out and spend huge amounts of money purchasing study materials, it's always a good idea to ask around your office and among other friends in the profession to see what they already have. don't be afraid of using materials that are not the newest or latest editions, the exam hasn't changed as much as some might like you to think. people are usually happy to share/trade, make copies, etc. you may even find that your office has some of the study guides in their own library. your office will also be your resource for studying the codes, ADA, LEED, graphic standards, AIA documents, the handbook of professional practice, etc.

Apr 4, 08 8:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: