Archinect
anchor

New UK currency coin design revealed

oldenvirginia

The Royal Mint has revealed its new design for the updated UK coins designed by 26 year old graphic designer Matthew Dent.

http://www.royalmint.com/newdesigns/designsRevealed.aspx

I entered this into the news section, but thought we could discuss opinions of/reactions to the designs more thoroughly here.

Apr 2, 08 11:28 am
Philarct

thats awesome, hey olden did you enter the competition?

the new design looks nice, a single quid showing the
whole shield of royal arms, the rest, 1p, 2p,5p,20p,50,
showing the "heraldic element" when you put them together.
to it speaks well of Dent's creativety. and if i was him
id brag the hell out of it, im sure he'll have no problem
getting a job in graphic design ever again.

Apr 2, 08 11:46 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Awesome. That is so freaking cool. Bravo, Matthew!

Apr 2, 08 11:54 am  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

I didn't, Phil. In fact, it completely passed me by which is a shame. I guess these things happen when you're holed up in your room all day!

Apr 2, 08 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
rambleon

thats really cool. they remind me of the ancient coins my aunt collects. they're all worn along the edges with age so there's no defining end to the stamped graphic

Apr 2, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The page on decimalisation is interesting; after reading British fiction for years I finally have a handle on their currency, old and new ! [Well, a lot of Brit numismatic slang (euphemism ?) is still beyond me. . .]

Apr 3, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
oldenvirginia

What kind of slang are you referring to, SDR?

Apr 3, 08 5:29 am  · 
 · 
SDR

"Some pre-decimalisation coins or denominations became commonly known by slang terms, perhaps the most well known being bob for a shilling, and quid for a pound. A farthing was a mag, a silver threepence was a joey and the later aluminium-bronze threepence was called a threepenny bit (pronounced /θrʌpni/, /θrʊpni/ or /θrɛpni/ bit); a sixpence was a tanner , the two-shilling coin or florin was a two-bob bit, and the two shillings and sixpence coin or half-crown was a half dollar. Quid remains as popular slang for one or more pounds to this day in Britain in the form "a quid" and then "two quid", etc."

Coins of the Pound Sterling -- Wiki

Apr 3, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
simples

is it only me, or is there anyone hoping that the full shield would be shown on the one pence coin, and not on the one pound value!?

i am becoming such a cynic...i should work on that...

i applaud the attention to design and willingness of the "powers to be" to accept a new way of looking at the currency...

now, i am going to try to find a State of Texas quarter for my collection...

Apr 3, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

And the US is getting some new currency too:

Apr 3, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)
Apr 3, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I believe that the back side of the coins have portraits of all of the dentists in England...all 7 of them

Apr 3, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
n_

^ Funniest comment I've seen in a while.

Apr 3, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

heh heh. Why no group portrait of the Wrasslin' Windsors. . .?

Apr 3, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i just got one of those 5 dollar bills..what's up with that big purple five?

Apr 3, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

larslarson

isnt it supposed to change color depending on how you look at it?

Apr 3, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

they need to join the eurozone already.

Apr 3, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
rira

gotta love the swiss though

Apr 4, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

This is a fantastic design! I love it! Frankly I'm amazed and thrilled at the competition itself--just imagine if the US decided to change it's money and just held an open competition for it?! Instead we get a nasty, protracted and litigious process that simply draws the whole thing out forever and leaves us with a "redesign" barely better or different than what we started with, at billions of dollars and years of cost. Woohoo! Wouldn't it be much simpler if we just said, "go for it, America! May the best man win!" Ta-da!

Apr 5, 08 12:38 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Spoken like a true designer. . .!

Apr 5, 08 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: