Archinect
anchor

when your team members lack ambition and intelligence, leave early, take 2-3 hour lunches AND erase stuff

Ms Beary

what can you do?

Apr 1, 08 8:33 pm
Philarct

buy a whip

Apr 1, 08 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Join them.

Apr 1, 08 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Lando

get a new gig and stop bitching.

Apr 1, 08 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Seriously, have you spoken to the head of your team about this? If he/she is one of those mentioned in your subject, I suggest speaking to their supervisor and expressing your concern. Don't make it a bitch fest but maybe an opportunity to give constructive criticism and express concern about team dynamic.

Apr 1, 08 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

dalecooper, are you a prick?

Apr 1, 08 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

make sure that when you go to team lead that
you dont nag, if you nag your likely to become
public enemy #1 in the office/worksite

Apr 1, 08 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

So how do I make it be known what I expect without nagging or tattling to the big boss (who doesn't care anyways)? I hate to interrupt yoga class, shopping, downloading music and checking e-mail for work-related purposes... but I can't do all of it myself.

Apr 1, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

I thought the title of the post was a suggestion: If your team members lack ambition and intelligence, then leave early, take 2-3 hour lunches and erase some stuff. Voila!

Apr 1, 08 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

I agree with n and dalecooper

If you don't think that the people above you, all the way to the top, don't care about this kind of behavior then your in the wrong place.

if your going to be running a business, especially in architecture, then maximizing employee performance is one of the most important things you can do. Why would you want to pay people to not make money for you.

perhaps you just have much higher expectations of your employees, i would take some time to think about exactly what is going wrong with your team, and then write down some ideas about what YOU could do to motivate them and what your COMPANY could do to motivate them, and then ask your supervisor to go get some coffee.

DONT start by telling them what is wrong, start but telling them what you think you can do to improve performance within your team and your company.

You obviously feel that something is not right here, and from the topic of your post, it appears that your coworkers don't. You should take this opportunity to show your supervisor that you are capable of creating change within your organization and leading people, even if they aren't.

or as dalecooper said

"stop bitching"

............................................ another prick

Apr 2, 08 12:58 am  · 
 · 
kanu

also where do you work? it sounds like a fun place with a lot of opportunity!

Apr 2, 08 12:59 am  · 
 · 
robust84

what do you mean by "leave early"? if they're leaving after 5:30, then they're being reasonable...

Apr 2, 08 1:01 am  · 
 · 
aspect

make sure he/she not sleeping with ur boss before u do anything.

Apr 2, 08 5:20 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

straw, do what others have done; align your vacation time with future project deadlines, that'll learn em.

Apr 2, 08 6:59 am  · 
 · 
aspect

[beta]Hussein_____ > that will never work, ppl just postphone the deadline til u back... everytime i'm back from vacation, the project stay the same as it was.

Apr 2, 08 9:32 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

not in my expeience.

Apr 2, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

sounds great. are you hiring?

Apr 2, 08 9:43 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I'm in for the lunches too. You don't mind if I come back drunk? sold.

I'm with the pragmatists here. How do you and your colleagues bill hours and allocate tasks? If you have grabbed the shitty end of the stick make sure that when you are done with it that you get the recognition. Make them see what you have done: schedule it out, print it in big letters, ask your boss what's happened and what's coming up next that isn't on your list, own the job. If you do it right, you'll get a sense of achievement and add to your portfolio in a way that makes the next step bigger and better.

It will also show what you are doing and by default what others are not, rather than just pointing the finger.

Apr 2, 08 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Lando

Jeeze, Straw. Nobody, at any office, likes the people that just sit and bitch about their team, or whatever problems they have. don't you think this is something that you could have avoided all together by just not working at such a shitty office? I mean really, you go and get a crappy job and then once you realize that is sucks, you enlist the help of the internet to solve your problems for you. I have an idea, why don't you change this thread to, "Who can come to my office and solve my problems for me?"

Apr 2, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Have you considered making a habit of joining them for lunch every day? Well, at least as long as you can get away with it?

Apr 2, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Its best to leave shitty offices and let them die slow painful deaths.

I am a HUGE believer in natural selection as it relates to companies.

Apr 2, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I seem to remember when Straw took this job ... at the time, she had very positive feelings about the job and the firm she was joining. With the passage of time, she perhaps finds that her early impressions may have been incorrect.

I think you guys are being totally unreasonable and overly harsh in your responses to Straw. She's not an habitual whiner here, like some. She's always been a thoughtful and constructive contributor -- you guys are just being uncharitable and unpleasant to someone who came here looking for a little support and advice.

Having read Straw's posts for some years now, my impression is that she is the sort of person who looks for ways to solve difficult problems and doesn't just bail out (as would seem to be the case with some of the posters above) whenever the going gets tough. Let's try to be a little bit more constructive here folks.

Apr 3, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i don't like dale cooper

i also think you should leave straw berry, if it disturbs you to that extent. i have solid chunks of shrapnel animating themselves around me sometimes in that cubicled prison, and i feel like i've been sniffing to much aether...and i know i'll leave when its convenient. is it conveient for u to leave? i hate convenience, it makesme understand my father and i sometimes feel the cancer of his convenience in my stomach...anyway, i hope you find a context u like being in

Apr 3, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Lando

notilucent, do u also hate spell check?

Apr 3, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i said i don't like, no mention of hate....u gay basher!

Apr 3, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Lando

gay basher? what are you talking about?

Apr 3, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
BigAaron

this is stupid.

Apr 3, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

back up back up back up...and secretly record footage in the office of them leaving the office. If anything it will entertain you.

Apr 3, 08 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
med.

What an outstanding way to bastardize a VERY reasonable and important thread.

Apr 3, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Noctilucent. OK. On this thread I didn't see anyone stating their membership of a race, an age group, a sexuality, a ghetto, until you did.

This forum is not about being angry. It is about support and friendship with a common goal of a better built environment. Contributors come. Contributors go. Each individual is left with a stronger memory of their own posts than those of anyone else. Perhaps they post to elicit questions, perhaps they hope their posts elicit answers. There is no final answer, merely another voice among the pandemonium. Even when you think you're giving the answer, you are just raising more questions.

Look at what you write: Ask the questions of yourself before you ask them of others. We are not an audience. We are your interlocutors, co-protagonists. Noone can scratch, bite, punch or kick in Archinect. As per your previous entry: "stick and stones may break my bones but words..."

I like this forum, in part, because of the anonymity it allows. And just as much the camaraderie and association it allows.

I don't know DaleCooper and

I don't know you.

I see you have no problems with grammar: you don't punctuate. Dale raises a point about your spelling. Not a question of your sexuality.

I know I used to shout at stupid car drivers from the fast-moving saddle of my bicycle. I used to vent all my different angers via the same outlet: anti-driver hollering.

It worked for a while, but, the answer was not in improving the driving of those I shouted at, but in being more aware of where I was, and how that manifested itself in the immediate future relationship between me and the driver(s). Taking ownership of that future meant assuming the worst of the drivers, non-judgementally, and making sure that whatever their actions, I rode on safely.

The parallel I'm trying to draw might not be truly parallel to the situation you involve yourself with here. It's supposed to draw a parallel also to the title of the thread:

You are you.
I am me.
Do what you must.
Or do your best.
But don't blame me
when it hurts.

Apr 3, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

PsyArch-

that is poetically living up to your screen name. cheers.

Apr 3, 08 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: