Archinect
anchor

Advice for new M.Arch Students

JC3000

I am starting an M.Arch program in the fall and am looking for any advice anyone might offer. I have read the other threads but I want to start a generic thread not focused computer programs, taking LEED classes, etc. (but certainly could contain advice on computer programs or class choices)

Advice could be anything: what supplies to buy, what one book to read, what kind of computer to get, how to scrape together money, how to get internships, what organizations to join, magazines to subscribe to, websites to follow... you get the point.

Apr 1, 08 4:37 pm
ff33º

man,...I am sorry to say this, but I am scared for this thread. you may be asking for trouble. its too vague of a question and the discussions lately are over run with grad school topics...

these are questions for like a counselor possibly...but maybe you find a string of beneficient veterans that aren't cynical about all the MArch-er consuming the threads...

Apr 1, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
masbldr

Great thread. I'm starting M.Arch in the fall as well and could really use advice, especially for the summer. Is it better to try to find an internship or just have a good time before hell starts?

Apr 1, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

A famous computer scientist said to me that you should never learn a computer program until you have a problem that program was made to solve. Instead, read the crap out of architectural graphic standards. Get a roll of trace and a felt tip pen, and ritually copy every page over and over.

Apr 2, 08 12:33 am  · 
 · 
kanu

What What What ....... mespellingwrong. i must respectfully disagree.

1st) get a job over the summer, if you haven't already had one. this is an important step in an architect's education, i don't want to discount it.

but learning graphic standards cover to cover isn't going to help you one bit in grad school, and if you currently have a job the last thing you want to do is come home and look at that shit again. you don't want to become a lop sided knowledge monkey, doomed to spend the rest of your days as a project manager, sketching out details for youngsters with bright new ideas about the world, who will soon pass you by, to tell you to figure out how to make something happen? do you?

no, you don't

instead i would try to figure out as much as you can about other scholarly pursuits. economics, art, philosophy, (religion even) something you can sink your teeth into and will help you define yourself, your beliefs and interests before you go into grad school.

studying graphic standards at this point in your career is totally pointless. know how to look something up and leave it at that.

Apr 2, 08 1:15 am  · 
 · 
mespellrong

sorry, I assumed that, like me, you spent four years in undergrad and eight years in grad school studying art, economics, and philosophy. You know by this point that reading philosophy without a community of practice to support you in doing so is a recipe for frustration.

I also assumed that someone on an architecture forum wanted a recommendation of something that would help them develop skills for graduate school in architecture. So, while I think you should learn correct citation technique in both the MLA and the APA format, architecture students don't need to pursue them aggressively because they want to become licensed professionals who can readily construct a decent building without having to re-invent every detail every time.

Sure, you want to be able to design the parts that matter in a new and special way. You also want to show that visiting critic who works for a major firm that at the end of your first term your project has flashing details and a door schedule, because you want to see it built.

If you went to divinity school a generation ago, they would do "sword drills," in which you would be given a chapter and verse, from which you would recite the text from memory. They did this on the theory that a practicing theologian would be cornered from time to time by a know-it-all parishioner, and if they couldn't recite the text, the person who most needed their help wouldn't even pay attention to them.

Apr 2, 08 1:38 am  · 
 · 

i almost never use graphic standards.

to be honest i believed the suggestion was an april fool joke, an invitation to see the trees instead of the forest.

don't do anything. if you are in a hurry to get started go walk through a city, some buildings, a park, a suburb, and think about what you are seeing. and when you start school try like hell to get out of school as much as you can.

Apr 2, 08 3:37 am  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

oh you could always start getting your collection of programs... ACAD, Rhino, Maya, Max, Abode Suite, etc.

Apr 2, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Jamchar

There are a few books that I read just prior to starting my M Arch

How buildings work
Why buildings stand up
Why buildings fall down

Some VERY Simple concepts on building use and construction even though you probably wont use the knowledge till at least 2nd-3rd quarter It has made my HVAC/construction classes a breeze.

It is also helpful to get some construction experience. I did a few summers and it has really allowed me to put my "technical" classes on the back burner and really dedicate myself to studio work.

I wouldnt really worry about practicing drawing or trying to read 200 books on theory (unless it really interests you).

My #1 piece of advice GET SOME REST...... youll be glad you did.

Subscribe to Architectural Record, and stay the HELL AWAY from Architectural Digest!

Apr 2, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

don't forget to read the fountainhead this summer so you'll know how real architects treat clients and employees.

depending on the school you're attending, start learning how to b.s. and sound intelligent - since most of the people starting threads like this seem lacking...

Apr 2, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
JC3000

Good stuff so far. Thanks.

Although I didn't think I would have my intelligence questioned from "starting a thread like this."

Apr 2, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
med.

DOs

- Sketch, sketch, sketch, and sketch. No matter how good or bad you are, do it anyway. You will just get better and better. They don't just have to be of buildings either. If you're already good at sketching, you are already at an advantage.

-Ask questions. You will be a student in the subject of architecture for the rest of your life. So start while you're early in your career.

- Do things that you are good at and take it to even the next level and learn new techniques in the process. Example: If you're good at sketching but really would love to make models, go for it and always ask your fellow studio colleagues for advice.

-Do all the work that is required of you so that you don't have to make excuses for any lack of work or lack of progress.

- Walk around the studio and explore what other people are doing. Every one has good ideas not just you. Learn from your colleagues. Talk to them and ask them questions too. Most will find it flattering and they may give you great advice too.

- Get into the habit of making things. You will find that this will be beneficial for you down the stretch when you're working out details.

DONT's

- Don't be a jerk to your colleagues.

- Don't act like a know-it-all expert in the subject. In all likelihood you faculty knows far more about the subject than you.

- Don't take negative criticism personally. It is all part of the game. Just listen to what they say, make the changes that will make your project better, and stand your ground on some of the choices that you feel are necessary.

- When critiquing, make constructive criticism geared towards helping someone to make their project better. Don't blast them personally or their ability.

- Don't get too involved with interminable computer jargon (i.e. "autocad didn't do this and that, so I had to use sketchup to do this and that.") None of that period.

- Don't skip studio so that you can just work out of your apartment. This is a studio major which will hopefully land you a job in a studio environment. Think of how little sense it makes for you to shut yourself out. It will affect a lot of things besides your grade.

- Even though you will, at least TRY not to stay up all night before a presentation/crit. It could really affect the clarity of what you're trying to say.

- Don't be afraid of structures. It looks intimidating at first (especially if you come from a non-math background) but you'll get used to it.

The most important thing:

Have the time of your life! This is your collegiate experience so live a little too!

I hope this helps and good luck!

Apr 2, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
kyo-ko

it sounds like you're very excited to start. i'm sorry that a lot of seasoned old-timers forget what it was like to not know anything and ask "dumb" questions. it's good that you're excited. the advice given so far seems very good. if you feel you need to do something immediately, try to get your foot in the door at a firm or travel or take a summer class or just keep learning--about anything that interests you--it doesn't have to be architecture (you will soon be swimming in architecture) and be as open-minded as possible. as you can tell, many of us who have been through the process for a few years get irritable or judgmental of beginners, so try not to be too anxious--just learn as much as you can, figure out what your opinions are and learn to articulate them and back them up. Good luck! Remember where you are in life in this exact moment so that in a few years, you can look back and really appreciate how far you'll have come.

Apr 2, 08 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
JC3000

Thanks Archmed and kyo-ko .

Seems the more people I talk to the more I hear the same few suggestions.

1. Sleep
2. Sketch
3. Read anything but architecture (mostly good non fiction)
4. Travel if you can

I guess that all makes sense.

Apr 3, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Confections

Flip through Mutations.

Apr 4, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

use a lot of lube and go slow. its a lot of fun when you get used to it.

Apr 4, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

rabbits - you win the prize.

Apr 4, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: