Archinect
anchor

Quitting before contract is up?

bentply2

I have been working at a firm for approximately 8 months and am almost half way through the contract that I signed as I accepted the position. I have had no intentions of breaking the contract. My reasoning for leaving does not involve a bad work environment or a horrible job, I have just decided to try a few routes outside of the architectural field.

Does anyone know the legal ramifications of quitting a job before the contract is up? I work at a small residential firm. I think I might be able to do this or maybe pay back software training hours?

I hate to be in a situation where I am leaving a firm before my contract, as I would like to stay on good terms with my current employer.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mar 31, 08 10:13 pm
spark

Think about the ramifications to your personal integrity.

You made a COMMITMENT and signed a CONTRACT.

These are important words.

If you leave, make sure its worth it.

Mar 31, 08 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

First, read your copy of the contract. What does it say about termination?

"According to labor laws, if you have an "at-will" contract, your employer may fire you or change the terms of the contract at his will, i.e., without any reason (so long as his reason does not involve illegal discrimination). And you can quit any time you like. Contrast this with a contract for a specified period of time, where you cannot be fired without just cause and cannot quit during that period.

If there is no express agreement regarding the length of time of the contract, it is generally presumed to be at-will."

If you signed up for a specific amount of time written into the contract, this may not apply.

Again, read your copy. The ramifications will (or should) be spelled out.

Mar 31, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

You could be in the clear legally, depending...

But as for staying on good terms with your current employer? Don't count on that part of it.

Mar 31, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

it's not illegal to terminate an employment contract early and if they try to tell you it is, they're wrong (i'm assuming you are in the states).
they can't withhold salary, either.
and i'm pretty certain being asked to pay back salary is illegal, but there may be a clause about termination notice (1 month min. etc)

Mar 31, 08 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
apocalipstick

In some countries you'd get paid for breaking it! check it out haha

Apr 2, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think you and your employer can dissolve the contract as long as you both agree to it and subsequently destroy/amend the agreement. If your employer does not agree to it however they can pursue legal action against you.

Apr 2, 08 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Wouldn't the answer really depend, almost totally, on the language contained in the contract you signed? most contracts contain provisions that define how the agreement can be terminated early -- what conditions must be present for that to happen and what the implications are to both parties when the agreement terminates prematuraly. read your contract to determine what your rights -- and your obligations -- might be.

Apr 3, 08 8:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: