Archinect
anchor

H&deM caixaforum

superinteresting!

I am by no means a silly fan but this might be my favorite H&deM work yet.

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/herzog_meuron/caixa/caixa.html

and more here, with large pics

http://www.plataformaarquitectura.cl/2008/02/24/herzog-de-meuron-caixaforum-madrid-inaugurado/#more-6192

Mar 31, 08 12:00 pm
drums please, Fab?

woah

Mar 31, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

that's gotta feel strange walking under that

Mar 31, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

im sure not more than under FORUM building

Mar 31, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

If they could do all that, why not jack the brick shell a meter or two and make a single course of SOMEthing as a visual base to that brick wall ? Note the magnificent stone base that was lost -- a visual necessity ! I get it -- you remove the base and get a floating ghost (?) -- but the result just doesn't work for me, with those sill panels slid to the very bottom, with no more wall below them -- an unfortunate legacy of the original "decor". . .

Apr 1, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Apr 1, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I don't like it. I have never liked buildings that look aggressively unstable, it's like a toddler saying "Look what I can do!!". It's a one liner in that respect. And while a little bit of that tricksterism is fun, in this case it is not handled with any gracefulness.

Same lack of grace in the way the vertical extension slams down onto the existing roof coping line - it's just too heavy-handed, no delicacy, and the proportion of new to old looks clumsy.

I also think the bent ceiling plane underneath the mass looks cool in images but in reality is probably fairly dank.

I do like the overall urban layout, with the corner open space and the vertical garden wall, and the way the existing slope narrows down that open plaza underneath. But in material usage finesse, I'm not impressed.

I'm generally a big fan of their work, but this one confounds me. It's mean.

Apr 1, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I do like it. I think it frames up an historical relationship in an incisive way. The past is not felt as a weight, it is not unnecessarily monumentalised, and it is not obliterated. But then I never really did hold to the 'ask a brick what it wants to be' school.

You might be right about the dank space, though lb – a friend said the Barcelona forum was a bit like that.

Apr 1, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

its kinda a one-liner, but a very smart one at that. I like it.

Apr 1, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

LB...

Mean is the right word. I think it is purposefully mean though.

Apr 1, 08 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

I like that.

I'm usually crazy about cantilevers, floating, etc. I've never seen these architects "make ugly" 'til now.

Apr 1, 08 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Definitely purposefully mean, nam! They are intentional about every single move they make, not a moment of the building's experience is left to chance.

Apr 2, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

maybe it belongs in this thread:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=60888_0_42_0_C

Apr 2, 08 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: