Archinect
anchor

Firm Swap - The Art of Making an Exit

Apurimac

Tomorrow, barring a miracle offer from a competing firm, I will be accepting a job with a new firm. Unlike the last time I got a new job though, I'm actually currently employed. Although I am leaving for a myriad of reasons, I do like my current boss and I want to make sure I transition from Firm A to Firm B without completely torching any bridges and leave on the best terms I can. The best thing I can think of at this point is to stay with my current firm (a GC) until the building permit on one of our biggest projects, and one i've been involved with since starting there, expires. Thus giving the requisite notice and providing sufficient support through this major deadline. Any other pointers on how to do this without completely torching the bridge?

Mar 31, 08 1:14 am
n_
Quitting Gracefully
Mar 31, 08 8:04 am  · 
 · 
spaceman spiff

call me lucky but i've never had any difficult exits...why there would be any threat of torched bridges i don't get, although i know most people do worry about it...if you're valued, no one will mind you leaving as they know you just want to pursue new and interesting things. never have given it a second thought, just a regular part of life. treat your employer as you would want to be treated and it should be fine. your plan sounds like you don't want to leave them in a lurch and they'll see it that way.

Mar 31, 08 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Thanks n_ forgot about that thread.

Mar 31, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: