Archinect
anchor

EARTH HOUR

drums please, Fab?

On March 29, 2008 at 8 p.m., join millions of people around the world in making a statement about climate change by turning off your lights for Earth Hour, an event created by the World Wildlife Fund.

We invite everyone throughout North America and around the world to turn off the lights for an hour starting at 8 p.m. (your own local time)–whether at home or at work, with friends and family or solo, in a big city or a small town.

What will you do when the lights are off? We have lots of ideas.

Join people all around the world in showing that you care about our planet and want to play a part in helping to fight climate change. Don’t forget to sign up and let us know you want to join Earth Hour.

One hour, America. Earth Hour. Turn out for Earth Hour!

Mar 28, 08 10:45 pm
drums please, Fab?

narrated by the piv

Mar 28, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

let's hug it out, bitch
Mar 28, 08 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

if you're east coast, you just missed out

:(

Mar 29, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Too bad everyone in LA is eastbound on the 10 right now. Why is that? Basketball? Well, maybe their lights are off at home. And maybe their cars run on dreams.

Mar 29, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

sounds like a good excuse for sexxxy tyme...

Mar 29, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

SEXXY TIME AGAIN !!

THIS SATURDAY 28 MARCH AT 8.30PM YOU CAN VOTE EARTH BY SWITCHING OFF YOUR LIGHTS FOR ONE HOUR - EARTH HOUR.

We need the world to take action on Global Warming. And you can start here. Use Earth Connect to share your thoughts about Global Warming. In the lead up to Copenhagen, your words will be more important than ever before.

Mar 28, 09 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

I'm in

Mar 28, 09 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

garpike! you are here! How have you been? (Seriously there were a LOT of people on the highway today, WTF)

I will be able to shut the lights off at 8:30 because I am leaving. Bad excuse I know :o/

Mar 28, 09 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well this thread was from last year apparently but it still applied. I really didn't see any large swaths of lights off here in Los Angeles.

Mar 29, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
rockandhill

I think all this would really do is distort energy prices momentarily.

It's things like this that kind of piss me off (any other argument like energy security would shut me up), but if you're really worried about the carbon cycle.... move to a city, your carbon footprint will drop by 66% without you having to do anything at all [than put up with brown people].

Mar 29, 09 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

it won't even do that...What follows is a rant, ignore it if you like.

I'm about as pinko liberal commie as they come, but this earth hour thing is just a bunch of cause-heads (ya, another piven ref)

The organizers always talk about it being a statement - that the world wants action on climate change. They never say anything about reducing consumption because it's so easy to shoot down - one hour does absolutely nothing in that regard. If you went to the power company and got obscenely precise data on electric usage at 8:15 and again at 8:45, you wouldn't notice a difference. So they talk about statements, about motivating government action.

But how do they communicate this statement?

Imagery. And a newsworthy participatory event. The lights are out on big ben, tune it at 11, we have pictures. The pictures are of one or two landmark spotlights turned off, while the rest of the city glows like it usually does.

As meaningful imagery, that sucks. Complete weaksauce.

other images show people crowded around "vote earth" spelled out with 500 candles. Does that seem fucking stupid to anyone else? let's turn the lights out and light things on fire! that'll save the earth from pollution! Do any of these people have any idea how little energy it takes to light a CFL?

as meaningful imagery, that's shooting yourself in the foot with a shotgun.

In conclusion, the whole thing is dumb. Call me when we have something meaningful to do.

Rant over.

Mar 29, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
yee haw! can you feel it?
it's time to bust a rhyme
(clicky linky belowy)
and save our world
c'mon, boys and girls!!!!!

EARTH HOUR
cool the earth with yer works!!

2...........................0...........................1...........................0
has arrived !!
saturday 27 march 2010 at 8:30 pm for 1 hour ah HELL yeah!

Mar 25, 10 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

But Parks & Recreation is on!

Mar 25, 10 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

Nevermind, I thought the 27th was today.

Mar 25, 10 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yer watchin' parks-n-rec?!?

monty, tHrOw AwAy YoUr TeLe~ViSiOn

(but PLEASE 'throw' your tv away at a household hazardous waste i.e. HHW disposal collection site ies muy importante!)

Mar 25, 10 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

less than 1/2 hour to east coast earth hour eastSIYEEDE !!

Mar 27, 10 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

do you feel the cool breeze in the air?
it's because you really do care
you turned out the lights
for an hour last night
the globe's warming beast is scared!

Mar 28, 10 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
TODAY

is the day once again!
we MUST DO THIS lest the world ends
so flicky that switch
and don'tcha dare bitch
'cause this cause is mom earth's best friend!

Mar 26, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

did you miss the hour of earth ?

do you realize the carb-die-'cide you've spewed since birth?

do you care to shut lights off for an hour that's wee?

oh why, mother earth, hath we forsaken thee?

Apr 1, 12 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: