Archinect
anchor

Any kind of work without experience/education

Luke.Kakizaki

Hey archinectites,

I am a freshman at University of Washington (Seattle). I came here because they have a really connections with Japan and that's my direction. But I'm really fixed to become an architect, i love architecture, i don't think I would be happy with any other profession. I guess that would be like the majority of the people here, if not all. Anyways, so after graduation with a BA in architectural studies, I think I'll go to MARCH school somewhere more prestigious.

I'm going off track. The reason I wanted to post is because ... ok here's my situation. I'm out-of-state, so its like ridiculously expensive for me..SO! I am going to take a year off, work, and get washington state residency (in state tution). So I guess I can work making coffee for a year or something, but I really want to do anything related to architecture.

Do you think it's even possible for me to get any kind of work in an architecture firm? Is it even worth a try? I have a 4.0 gpa, took some drawing classes, but nothing "architectural". Oh, well in high school I had an architect mentor. I mean, I can work for minimum wage, I just want the experience. i donno, i can make copies or run errands and stuff.

So my question is! like, without any formal architecture experience or education, is there any way i can still wiggle my way into an architect firm?

Any comments would be highly appriciated! thanks everyone

Mar 28, 08 11:50 am
mkell

I'm in the same boat as you. All I want is to just get in somewhere and do whatever for sake of experiencing a professional environment.

Mar 28, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

you should check with local firms and meet with them. explain your situation and see if you can work out at least a part time internship. you never know. they will probably be somewhat impressed by the fact you want to get experience, and want to actually be there. if you cant find one that will pay, find one you like and will actually teach you some things, and come in for a couple hours a week or something in between your other job.

i think it wont be as hard to wiggle your way in as you think. as long as you dont expect to get paid like someone with a degree or experience

we all had to start somewhere. i know some firms have high school interns, so it definitely happens

Mar 28, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

and good luck!

Mar 28, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

don't expect much beyond being a clerk or administrative support person at first. But keep your eyes open and work hard.

Mar 28, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

making the contact and just being in and around a firm and architects is what will help you the most right now. you will get comfortable being in an office environment, plus, if they know you will be there for the entire year, they might be willing to at least show you some projects and maybe you can do some minor drafting

Mar 28, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

You will never know if you don't try.

Mar 28, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Luke.Kakizaki

Thanks everyone! I don't have any contacts but I'll give it a shot at some offices. Thaaanks. you guys made my day... I thought I would like waste a year but I guess i have a chance at getting SOMETHING out of it. ^^P

So I should just e-mail them my situation with a resume? Or I could call, but I guess an e-mail would be more formal.

One more question... small offices or larger ones? I'm thinking small firms are more personal, so I would have a higher chance.

Mar 28, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
mkell

Another idea may be to contact an office to shadow an architect for a day. I did this a few months ago with a friend of my aunt and uncle and it was a great experience. Plus, it would give you an opportunity to express how interested you are in architecture to whoever you shadow which could lead to a job opportunity.

Mar 28, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
kyleseyz

Luke, you should apply to work in the Digital Commons at Gould Hall.
It's basically IT support, but you'll get connections in the CAUP (Or College of The Built Environment, whatever we're calling it now) and it will deal directly with people doing architecture. I know it's not a firm or anything, but I think you should check it out, they pay well and it seems like a really lax job, just sending plots and helping people log in to their computers.

Good luck!

May 21, 08 2:14 am  · 
 · 
binary

get a job in the trades.....

learn how to build

"hump some lumber"

"pull wire"

"lay a few squares"

"whats the real size of a 2x12?"

etc

May 21, 08 2:25 am  · 
 · 

i wouldn't recommend construction as route to architecture, unless it interests you (nothing wrong with construction experience, mind you)

there is some value in knowing how to build, but if you end up doing work for a large office the practical knowledge may not be that applicable. in more than 15 years i have yet to use a 2x12 for any building i have worked on as architect.

if you wanna work for an office call some up and explain your idea. if you are lucky something could happen.

May 21, 08 4:59 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Your going to be up against mdler....and crap he has been published in Dwell, and he does board formed concrete...Yikes!

May 21, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: