Archinect
anchor

Looking for precedents and real life examples. Suggestions please.

accesskb

Hi,
Here is an example image done by a digital matte painter. I was wondering if any of you could direct me to precedents or have seen real architecture that may even slightly relate to the idea in the image. I'm inspired and curious by this whole idea of layer/city underground, though not hidden, rather visible from the street above. Once again the real life precedent doesn't have to be of a similar scale to the image, rather even a small hint of it would suffice. Thanks.

Mar 28, 08 10:19 am
Liebchen

What you're looking for and why you're interested in it is a little unclear. Maybe you can provide some more details for people to bite? In the mean time:

Amsterdam Subcity

David Macaulay Underground

Mar 28, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

there have been several movies on this topic. otherwise go read malcom wells.

Mar 28, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 
gonad

i was about to suggest melcom wells as well...
dang you treekiller!

Mar 28, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
some person

Rockefeller Center, NYC

Mar 28, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

These are only superficially related, but maybe up your alley . . .

waterworld

OMA's recent rak-jebel-al-jais resort

And this one's totally unrelated, but i'm just plugging an old prof's work..look into his other stuff if you don't know it . . .
I've Heard about . .
r&sie

Also, look into some of the proposals early in the 20th century for multi-layer transportation systems in Manhattan. I forget the big names now, but i'm sure someone else knows what i'm talking about.

Mar 29, 08 8:54 am  · 
 · 
bothands

underground image of HydroNet, a speculative subterranean urban infrastructure project for SF, History Channel City of the Future competition: link

Mar 29, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: