Archinect
anchor

Summer jobs

mkell

I will be entering an undergrad arch program in the Fall and am thinking about thinking about trying to find a job at a firm for the summer. My question is, would firms (and I know it will vary depending on size) hirer someone like me who has no formal/educational arch experience? I'd really do almost anything for any amount of pay - just really wanting to get in somewhere and experience day-to-day activities.

Mar 27, 08 9:13 pm
iamsam

you need to find a networking connection to someone in an office...i got my internship through a guy who's office was across the hall from my dads. he sells HVAC equip to my employer and was nice enough to forward my info.

Mar 27, 08 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
gs11

I agree with 'iamsam'. Talk to everyone you know about if they know any architects. It maybe hard to find someone to take a chance on you with no experience, but it is not impossible. That being said, any relevant experience is good experience to start out. Don't be afraid to try construction, working for a govt planning agency, or developer. Everything you do will affect how you think about architecture. My first job in the industry was for a landscape architect, and I very much appreciate the perspective it has given me. Don't get down if this summer doesn't work out. You have a lot of time to figure things out while in school.

Mar 30, 08 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

at one point, i had no experience and got a job prior to uni.

a friend w/ IT background and no arch. experience also got a job with a firm i was working for.

it does happen.

Mar 30, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

too bad most firm's have retired their diazo machines- nothing can better prepare you for a future career in architecture then running prints all summer.

Mar 30, 08 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: