Archinect
anchor

European Work Visa

The search of past discussions yielded little help.

I will be graduating in June with my Masters degree and am pursuing employment in Europe (specifically London and Berlin). Can anyone point me to some decent companies/websites that I could attain a VISA through?

If anyone could explain the general process and options that would be great as well. I keep finding contradicting information from various websites.

Mar 24, 08 5:16 pm
justavisual

you can get a visa for england that costs $290 and will last 6 months from :
http://www.bunac.org/usa/workinbritain/eligibility.aspx

you can still apply within 6 months of graduation.

after that you will need a firm to sponsor your stay...

Mar 24, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

is anyone aware of a VISA that allows a stay of one year? so far i have only come across ones for 6 months and 2 years. i would like to work for 6-8 months and travel for a month or two. are there any options for this?

Mar 25, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
MacRoen

You should check if you are allowed to work with these short term visas...

Mar 26, 08 12:21 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

my experience w/ work permit for DE...

was offered a job, went to DE consulate in wash dc, was told to do it in DE.

got to DE, spent a day trying to get all forms filled out, letter from employer was needed for visa, proof of insurance...

it was pretty stressful, pretty circular (you need to fill out form y to get form x... form x must be approved prior to receiving form y...) and ueber-frustrating. but i think a lot of it was due to my lacking linguistic skills. so I was basically BS-ing it. the process isn't that difficult.

i do know firms that wouldn't go through the process (the firm has to register, pay fees and taxes) and so they'd make employees leave the country for a few days, then come back for a few more months.

if you do it there, fees are minimal, i think it was less than 80 euros.

Mar 26, 08 3:23 am  · 
 · 

uk was not so hard, but easiest done through lawyer.

my office went through process twice. first time on own, second time hiring lawyer who knew the tricks. this costed them 1000 pounds or so but it went through like a turkey through a field of corn. the only other bother was a requirement that they advertise in magazines/newspapers throughout europe and conduct (and document) interviews to show they couldn't find anyone qualified. so it can be tedious for the office...i think it may be more difficult recenlty from what i hear...or maybe not.

but the thing is there is little incentive to hire people from overseas for short term. better to get it sorted on your own if you wanna just go for half a year. working holiday visa is maybe possibility...

Mar 26, 08 4:10 am  · 
 · 
filo

in both cases i am sure working visa will not be a big issue... but berlin... i get the idea on the fact it is a beautifull city but they really have no jobs and the few one are totally lowpaid... it is a forever intership kind of situation...

Mar 26, 08 4:19 am  · 
 · 
rira

you don't have any grandparents who could get you an eu passport?

Mar 26, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

put in a personal ad to the area you want to live for a temporary marriage?

Mar 26, 08 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: